History

The Department of Public Health was first created in 1938 at the University of Massachusetts Amherst (then known as Massachusetts State College). It joined the School of Health Sciences in 1973, and later merged with the health science disciplines in 1993 to form the School of Public Health and Health Sciences (SPHHS). Public Health shares a commitment with its fellow departments to optimize human health and well-being.

The Department continues to flourish as its faculty, students, and alumni lead the way in solving the complex challenges to the public’s health and well-being. Together, we’re working to optimize the quality of life for communities locally, regionally, nationally, and worldwide.