Graduate Certificate in Global Health
The UMass Amherst School of Public Health & Health Sciences is proud to introduce our new Graduate Certificate in Global Health. This program is open to all current graduate students in the school, including MPH-PHP students. The program is also open to non-matriculated working professionals who have an interest in global health and further interest in eventually pursuing the MPH or PHD in Public Health. The certificate is 15 credits and is offered 100% online. Successful candidates in the certificate will gain the following skills:
- The ability to understand and describe emerging health concerns;
- Plan, implement, and evaluate global health programs from community, regional, and national perspectives;
- Analyze the social, political, and medical factors that influence populations;
- Describe issues of health equity and human rights;
- Describe the role of non-governmental organizations.
Should a graduate certificate student subsequently apply and matriculate into a degree-granting program, the 15 credits will transfer into the degree. Certificate students must meet all eligibility and admissions requirements for entrance into the full MPH program.
Prerequisites: Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA
Format: 100% online
Requirements: All applicants must submit an application, official transcripts, resume/CV, and 2 letters of recommendation.
Curriculum: There are 2 required courses and 3 electives. Students are allowed to choose which 3 electives and may choose to complete a 200 hour international practicum.
- Pubhlth 580 - Comparative Health Care Systems
- Pubhlth 583 - Introduction to Global Health
- Pubhlth 601 - Application of Social and Behavioral Theory in Public Health Interventions
- Pubhlth 590D - International Organizations and Population Health
- Pubhlth 590E - Emerging Infectious diseases
- Pubhlth 590Q - Globalization and Health
- Pubhlth 614 - International Health, Population, & Development
- Pubhlth 622 - Program Evaluation in Health and Human Service Organizations
- Pubhlth 698 - Global Health Practicum
- Pubhlth 704 - Health Program Planning
- Nutr 578 - Nutritional Problems in the Developing World
Cost: Total tuition for the program is currently $8,850.00 or $590.00 per credit. There is also a $45.00 registration fee per semester. There are no other fees associated with the certificate. Due to the non-degree nature of the certificate program financial aid may be limited and may not include federal student loans.
Admissions: Applications for the program are considered twice a year. Interested students should submit the brief application along with a resume/CV and official transcripts from all institutions attended.
For more information please complete the request information form to the right or contact the program administrator: Lori Peterson, MS 413-545-4530, email@example.com