April 28, 2015
The Department of Nutrition held the annual Virginia A. Beal Lecture on April 21, 2015 at the Massachusetts Room in the Mullins Center. The evening began with a poster session by a dozen department students showcasing research they are participating in at UMass Amherst ranging from studies of the connection between vitamin B6 and depression to community projects examining the impact of WIC useage at farmer's markets. The Department also recognized scholarship awardees, including:
- Bi-Sek Hsiao, Peter L. Pellet Graduate Scholar
- Qiong Chen and Seok-Yeong Yu, Virginia A. Beal Graduate Scholars
- Christine Charbonneau and Rita Longe, Virginia A. Beal Undergraduate Scholars
- Emily Harrington, Helen S. Mitchell Graduate Scholar
- Jeanette Schaible, Helen S. Mitchell Undergraduate Scholar
Dr. Robert S. Chapkin of Texas A & M University keynoted the event with a talk titled "Winning the Chemoprevention War: Reducing Inflammation through Nutrition." Chapkin is an expert in associations between dietary factors and digestive system health.