April 20, 2016
The Department of Nutrition held the 28th Annual Virginia A. Beal Lecture on April 20, 2016 at the Campus Center Auditorium. The evening began with a poster session showcasing research by students and alums ranging from food literacy programs for adolescents to studies of links between maternal nutrition and autism. The Department also recognized scholarship awardees, including:
- Qiong Chen, Peter L. Pellet Graduate Scholar
- Deniz Azarmanesh, Jinchao Li, and Hilary Wiggins, Virginia A. Beal Graduate Scholars
- Robert Dunn, Sabrina Hafner, and Etana Matatia, Virginia A. Beal Undergraduate Scholars
- Alagu selvi Kadappan, Helen S. Mitchell Graduate Scholar
- Ariana Cerro, Helen S. Mitchell Undergraduate Scholar
Dr. Valentina Ivezaj of Yale University keynoted the event with a talk titled "What is 'Food Addiction'? Empirical Evidence and Treatment Implications." Ivezaj is an expert in outcomes of bariatric surgery with an emphasis on disordered eating and addictive behaviors.