Dean’s Research Enhancement Opportunity 2015-2016
Faculty in the School of Public Health and Health Sciences may apply to the Dean’s office for funding to enhance an existing or new research program with the intent of producing preliminary data needed to submit a significant externally-funded research application. These funds (up to $10,000 per faculty member) can be used to support the faculty member’s research program and can include funds for equipment or student research assistants. Awardees will be required to keep an itemized budget of expenditures. At the end of the award period, the faculty member should prepare a one page paper detailing how the funds were used and what was accomplished. A subsequent report should be submitted after a significant grant application is submitted identifying the title, agency, duration and dollar amount of the proposed research, date of submission of the application, and outcome of the proposal review when known. Up to five Research Enhancement Opportunities will be awarded per year.
To apply for funds a faculty member must submit the following:
1. A brief concept paper explaining the research area and the faculty’s accomplishments thus far in the research area.
2. A current CV containing publications, grant submissions and externally-funded awards in the area of research.
3. An itemized budget, timeline and scope of work for the project. Budgets will be reviewed for appropriateness.
4. If the faculty is responding to a specific RFP, a copy of the RFP including due dates.
5. A signature from the Department Chair indicating support for the application. Letters of recommendation from mentors and/or Department Chair are encouraged but not mandatory.
All materials should be submitted electronically by December 15, 2015 to Carey Simos in the Dean’s office (email@example.com) with a copy to Dean Marjorie Aelion (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Associate Dean (email@example.com). All award recommendations are made by a Dean’s committee. Funds will be available for the spring semester and/or summer following the award unless extenuating circumstances require funds more quickly.
N.B. Faculty members are eligible to receive only one research enhancement opportunity award.