Travel and Expense Reimbursements

For specific rules and regulations concerning expenditures or university policies, please visit the Controller’s Office website.

Employee Travel Reimbursements:

Pre-Travel Authorization:

Please complete the travel authorization process prior to travel, allowing enough time for the Dean to sign if necessary. All overnight and out-of-state travel requires pre-authorization. Please note that as of August 2016, the University is rolling out an on-line travel registry, which will replace the current hard-copy paper pre-travel authorizations. Training for Travel Preparers through WLD is required before you will be granted access to the online registry. Once the training is completed, the registry site itself is located here.

Travel Reimbursement (form available in Downloads):

  • Step 1: The online travel registry process (see above) needs to be completed prior to travel. Please note the registry ID number and be sure to include it on the Travel and Reimbursement Request Form (see Downloads) when submitting your travel paperwork.
  • Step 2: Make sure to obtain all necessary signatures and to include the names of any individuals who attended business meetings. Full details of allowable expenditures and other common questions can be found in the Travel Manual.
  • Step 3: Upon receipt of the completed packet in the Business Center, your reimbursement information will be entered into the PeopleSoft system. Reimbursements sometimes take several weeks to process, so please plan accordingly and be patient.

Travel Card Program

Travel cards are credit cards used for travel-related expenses only. Like all credit cards, they must be paid in a timely manner. If you use your travel card for pre-travel purchases, such as conference registration or airline tickets, please submit those expenses as soon as reasonably possible after the purchase; you do not have to wait for the travel to actually occur before submitting the payment request. (See Step 2, above.) Likewise, when you have used your travel card during your trip, please make sure to submit the reimbursement request as soon as reasonably possible after your return, to make sure that payments get made promptly. Please bear in mind that travel card payments (or lack thereof) do affect your personal credit score, so, again, it is important to be prompt and correct with the paperwork. For more information, please visit the Travel Card Program website.

Employee Non-Travel Reimbursements:

Occasionally, you may be in a situation where you need to purchase items out of pocket. To get reimbursed, fill out the Travel and Expense Reimbursement form, making sure to include all receipts, a Business Expense form if your expense was a business meeting or meal, and your supervisor’s/ PI’s signature approving the expenditure.

Non-Employee Student Reimbursements:

Non-employee students must get reimbursed using a Disbursement Voucher, along with an invoice and the relevant receipts. See here for forms. Students who are also employees get reimbursed through the employee process, above.

Non-UMass Reimbursements:

From the Controller’s Office, November 9, 2015:

“To reduce paperwork currently needed to reimburse resident nonemployees it is no longer necessary to obtain a W-9. The streamlined process to reimburse resident nonemployees may be disbursed on a Single Payment Voucher effective immediately. A resident nonemployee is defined as a US citizen or a permanent US resident (usually on a green card). Typical reimbursements to resident nonemployees include student recruiting and job candidate travel, excluding new employee moving expenses.

Single Payment Vouchers have no tax reporting capability. Therefore, a single payment voucher may never be used for such payments as contract for services, stipends and per diems. Departments are asked to confirm the accuracy of the resident nonemployee’s remit address information prior to submitting the request to Accounts Payable. The remit to address must be a US address.” Electronic submission is preferred.