SPHHS Senior Recognition Ceremony
Saturday, May 11, 2013, 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Fine Arts Center Concert Hall
**NOTE: The SPHHS Senior Recognition Ceremony will now begin at 8:30 a.m., and graduation medallions will be awarded on a staggered group schedule with an accompanying intermission.**
- We are making this change, along with several other program changes, to accommodate the large number of ticket requests we have received. All graduating seniors will be seated in the Fine Arts Center at the beginning of the ceremony regardless of major. In order to seat family and guests of graduating seniors, students will be recognized in two groups. Group A majors (Kinesiology and Nutrition) will receive their graduation medallions during the first half of the ceremony. A brief intermission will follow, after which we will resume our ceremony to award medallions to Group B majors (Communication Disorders and Public Health).
We will institute the following changes to our program and instructions:
- Group A ticketholders (guests of Kinesiology and Nutrition graduates) will be seated for the start of the ceremony with doors opening at 8:00 AM. The ceremony will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. After Group A students have received their medallions, we will ask the faculty and graduates of those two majors, and their families and guests to exit the auditorium.
- Group B ticketholders (guests of Communication Disorders and Public Health graduates) will be admitted immediately after outgoing guests from Group A exit the Fine Arts Center, after a brief intermission.
- We will resume the second half of our ceremony and award graduation medallions to Group B (Communication Disorders and Public Health majors). We do not know the exact time the ceremony will resume, but we anticipate this to be approximately 9:30-9:45 AM. Afterwards, all remaining faculty, students, and their families and guests will exit the auditorium.
- In order to avoid overcrowding in the Fine Arts Center lobby, we encourage all Group B guests (Communication Disorders and Public Health) to arrive at approximately 9:00 AM.
***PLEASE NOTE: Guest tickets will be required for this event.***
PARKING: There are no parking restrictions on campus on weekends save for those spaces already marked as “reserved” or “handicapped.” We recommend that guests park in Lot 32 across from the Whitmore Building, or in Lot 62 on North Pleasant Street. Handicapped parking is available next to the Fine Arts Center for those who have the appropriate handicapped parking placards.
ARRIVAL TIME: All students must arrive at the Fine Arts Center by 8:00 a.m.
CAPS & GOWNS: Students should arrive at our Senior Recognition Ceremony dressed in your regalia. Caps, gowns, and tassels may be picked up beginning next week in the Campus Center, Room 165-69, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Monday, May 6th until Thursday, May 9th. Pickup on Friday, May 10th will be in the same location, with limited hours of operation from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
NAME CARDS: Students should pick up a name card at the “check in” desk inside the Fine Arts Center lobby. Complete BOTH sides of this card and hold onto it until you reach the stage. The front side has information for the photographer including name, mailing address, text number, and permanent email address. The back side of the card has information for the reader, including the phonetic pronunciation of your name, to help the announcer call your name before you to walk the stage and receive your medallion. NOTE: You will NOT be able to walk on stage to receive your medallion without a completed name card.
GUEST TICKETS: Tickets are required to attend our Senior Recognition Ceremony. There are two different types of tickets: one type for Group A guests (maroon, for guests of Kinesiology and Nutrition majors) and a separate type for Group B guests (blue, for guests of Communication Disorders and Public Health majors). If you are a Group A student (Kinesiology or Nutrition major), you must EXCHANGE your tickets for a new set of maroon tickets. You can exchange your tickets by visiting the Academic Dean’s Office in 125 Arnold House by Thursday, May 9th, at 12 noon.
WAIT LIST TICKET REQUESTS: All students who previously put their names on the wait list for extra tickets will be able to receive them. You may now pick them up in the Academic Dean’s Office in 125 Arnold House. All tickets must be picked up by Thursday, May 9th at 12 noon.
GUEST SEATING: Seating will be on a general admissions basis. Doors will open at approximately 8:00 a.m. for Group A ticketholders, and re-open after a brief intermission for Group B ticketholders. In order to avoid overcrowding in the Fine Arts Center lobby, we encourage all Group B guests (Communication Disorders and Public Health) to arrive at approximately 9:00 AM.
DISABILITY SEATING: Seating in the disability access section is by reservation only. We can only provide one companion seat for every guest who requires disability access seating. Please contact Adrian Grace at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve seats in this section.
STUDENT SEATING: You will be seated in designated sections of the concert hall based on your major. Students will be seated by major as follows:
- Communication Disorders – Orchestra Pit
- Public Health Sciences – Section 1, Rows A through C
- Nutrition – Section 1, Row E
- Kinesiology – Section 2, Rows F through K
For more information on the University Commencement visit the UMass Amherst Commencement website. Contact Patrick Freeman at email@example.com or Adrian Grace at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Please check back regularly for updates and additional information.
LAST UPDATED: 5/10/2013
UMass Amherst Commencement Weekend
Thursday May 9 - Saturday May 11, 2013
The 2013 commencement ceremonies will take place from May 9-11, 2013. Please visit the UMass Amherst Commencement 2013 website for more information.
Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
Friday, May 10, 2013, 5:00 - 6:30 p.m.
McGuirk Alumni Stadium
The University's Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony will take place on Friday, May 10, 2013, beginning at 5:00 p.m. in McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Please visit the UMass Amherst Commencement 2013 website for more information regarding the Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony and related events.
Graduate School Ceremony
Friday, May 10, 2013, 9:00 - 10:30 a.m.
The University's Graduate School Ceremony will take place on Friday, May 10, 2013, beginning at 9:00 a.m. in the Mullins Center. Please visit the UMass Amherst Commencement 2013 website for more information regarding the Graduate School Ceremony and related events.
Please check back regularly for updated information on Commencement Weekend 2013.