Students wishing to major in Portuguese should consult with their Major Advisor. Course listings, including those for other Five College Spanish departments, are available in Spire each semester.
Requirements for the Portuguese Major
A grade of C or better must be earned in every course.
I. Pre-Major Preparation (6 credits) (Replace by other courses if you tested out of 240)
- PORT 230 Intermediate Portuguese I
- PORT 240 Intermediate Portuguese II
II. Major Core (12 credits)
- Choose among the following courses to fulfill this requirement:
- PORT 301 Conversational Portuguese I
- PORT 302 Conversational Portuguese II
- PORT 311 Advanced Portuguese Grammar
- PORT 312 Advanced Composition
- PORT 320 Introduction to Portuguese Literature I
- PORT 321 Introduction to Portuguese Literature II
- PORT 322 Introduction to Brazilian Literature
III. Upper-Level Courses (12 credits)
To complete the Major in Portuguese, students are required to take four upper-level courses, chosen with the advisor's approval. Two of these courses may be taken in areas related to the major (History, Anthropology, Political Science, Art, etc.). Courses taken outside of the department must be at the 300 level or above.
IV. Junior Writing requirement (3 credits)(primary majors only)
- PORT 312 Portuguese Advanced Composition
V. Integrative Experience (3 credits)(primary majors only)
- PORT 394 (2 credits)
- PORT 494 (1 credit)