Francisco Cota Fagundes
406 Herter Hall
Professor Francisco Cota Fagundes is a well-known scholar of contemporary Portuguese literature, including the literature of the Portuguese North American diaspora. He is starting his 39th year of teaching at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. During this time, he has taught numerous new courses and published over thirty books and many dozens of articles in a broad field of areas.
Professor Fagundes came to the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 1976. At that time, his teaching duties included the Spanish language and Peninsular literature. As the Portuguese program grew, particularly its graduate component, he confined himself to Portuguese-language studies. Among the many courses he has taught for the first time are Lusophone African Literature, the Short Story in the Portuguese-Speaking World, Visions of America in Portuguese-Language Travel Literature, Portuguese Literature in Translation, and Portuguese and Brazilian Modernism(s).
- Trinta e Muitos Anos de Devoção: estudos sobre Jorge de Sena em Honra de Mécia de Sena. Edited with former student António M.A. Igrejas and current student Susana Antunes.
- Daniel de Sá: Escritor dos Açores e do Mundo. Edited with former student António M.A. Igrejas and current student Susana Antunes.
- Uma Viagem pela Escuridão: Eu não nasci para ser feliz. An illness narrative, being translated into Portuguese.
Although Professor Fagundes has taught all areas of Portuguese literature, his main areas of research and publication have included the following:
- Poetry and Short Fiction of Jorge de Sena
- North American Portuguese Diaspora
- Representation of Orality in Literature
- Novel of Vitorino Nemésio
- Translation of Fiction, Poetry, and Autobiography
- Creative Writing (three volumes of diaspora-inspired narrativas) and an Autobiography
- Illness Narrative as Field of Research
- Mau Tempo no Canal: tradução, simbolismo, escrita, oralidade, diáspora (Ver Açor, 2014)
- Lawrence Oliver, Para Trás Anda a Lagosta (ed. & trans.) (Ver Açor, 2014)
- Narrating the Portuguese Diaspora: Piecing Things Together (co-ed.) (Peter Lang, 2011)
- Portugal pelo Mundo Disperso (co-edition) (Tinta da China Edições, 2013)
- Metamorfoses do Amor: Estudos sobre a ficção breve de Jorge de Sena (Edições Salamandra 1999)
Articles and chapters
- Articles in Colóquio Letras, Bulletin of Hispanic Studies, Hispania, and many others
- Chapters in over thirty books
Awards and Accolades
- Has received a medal of recognition by his native city, Praia da Vitória, Azores
- Has been awarded the Insígnia Autonómica de Reconhecimento by the Regional Government of his native land, the Azores
- Has been awarded the Grau de Grande Oficial da Ordem do Infante Dom Henrique by the Government of his native country, Portugal