Community Engagement Practicums
Our students can participate in community engagement projects with local Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking communities under the supervision of our faculty and local organizations.
When participating in a community engagement project, students can earn between 1 and 3 practicum credits (1 credit per every 3 hours worked per week). These credits will count towards the total number of credits needed for graduation, but may not fulfill any requirement of the major. Students need to sign a contract with the organizaton and be in touch with a faculty sponsor in order to receive practicum credit (SPAN 398 / PORT 398).
Spanish Language and Culture Outreach Intern
In Spring 2020, the Spanish studies program will offer a series of language and culture workshops in the Amherst, Northampton, Holyoke and surrounding communities to Spanish- and English-speaking community members. We are currently offering ONE internship position to participate in the organization and implementation of this program, entitled Así Hablamos. This position requires about 9 hours of work per week, and the successful candidate would receive 3 academic credits.
The student intern will assist Professor Danielle Thomas and other members of the Outreach Committee on helping to recruit and coordinate students and community members for participation in the workshops/meetings and assist with the implementation and follow-up on these workshops/ meetings, which are expected to occur 2-3 times per month.
• Fluency in Spanish and English
• Familiarity with the communicative practices of Spanish-speaking and English-speaking communities
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, ability to work creatively and independently
• Interest and/or background in planning & facilitating workshops/meetings, developing educational and/or language learning materials for adults & children
• Flexible scheduling (ie. nighttime, weekends) from January to June 2020
If you are interested, please send your résumé and application letter to the Professor Danielle Thomas, email@example.com
There may be additional opportunities currently under development. You may get in touch with one of our faculty to learn about any forthcoming projects:
- Meghan Armstrong-Abrami, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephanie Fetta, email@example.com
- Luis Marentes, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danielle Thomas, email@example.com