C. N. Le
Education and Interests
(Ph.D., SUNY Albany 2004)
Race and Ethnicity, Immigration, Asian American Studies, Structural and Socioeconomic Measures of Assimilation, Interracial Marriage, Immigrant Self-Employment
- Le, C.N. 2012. "New Dimensions of Asian American Self-Employment in Los Angeles and New York." Asian American & Pacific Islander Nexus 10:2:55-76.
- Le, C.N. Forthcoming. "Post-Vietnam War Tensions in the Vietnamese American Community" in Encyclopedia of Asian American Issues Today, edited by Edith Chen and Grace Yoo. Santa Barbara: Greenwood Publishing.
- Le, C.N. 2010. "Bridging the Campus and the Community: Blogging About the Asian American Experience" in Sociologists in Action, edited by Kathleen Korgen, Jonathan White, and Shelley White. Thousand Oaks: Pine Forge Press.
- Le, C.N. 2010. "Multiracial Asian Americans: Social Class, Demographic, and Cultural Characteristics” in Multiracial Americans and Social Class, edited by Kathleen Korgen. New York: Routledge.
- Le, C.N. 2009. "'Better Dead Than Red': Anti-Communist Politics Among Vietnamese Americans" in Anti-Communist Minorities in the US: The Political Activism of Ethnic Refugees, edited by Ieva Zake. New York: Palgrave-MacMillan.
- Le, C.N. 2007. Asian American Assimilation: Ethnicity, Immigration, and Socioeconomic Attainment. New York, NY: LFB Scholarly Publishing. *Reviewed by Morrison Wong in Contemporary Sociology, September 2008, 37:5:457-459.
- Le, C.N. 2004. "Fleeing Dragon: The Refugee Experience From a Vietnamese Immigrant Family" in Minority Voices: Linking Personal Ethnic History with the Sociological Imagination, edited by John Rowan. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Council Member (2010-2012) and Secretary Treasurer-Elect (2012-present), Section on Asia and Asian America, American Sociological Association.
- Organizer, Presider, and Discussant. "Asian American Ethnoscapes in Urban/Suburban California" regular session at the annual meeting of the Association for Asian American Studies, May 19, 2011, in New Orleans, LA.
- Invited Speaker, "Meeting the Challenges of the 21st Century: Connecting Asians, Americans, and Asian Americans," United States Army Corps of Engineers, Winchester, VA, May 4, 2011.
- Invited Speaker, "Balancing Asian, American, and Asian American Identities in the Era of Globalization," annual conference of the East Coast Asian American Student Union, University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA, February 19, 2011.
- Invited Panelist, "The Roar over Amy Chua, Tiger Mom," Smith College, Northampton MA, February 10, 2011.
- Invited Speaker, "Asian American Stereotypes and the Illusion of Colorblindness," The Westminster Schools, Atlanta GA, October 1, 2010.
- Organizer, Presider, and Discussant, "Emerging Connections Between Asians and Asian Americans," Section on Asia and Asian America session at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, August 16, 2010, in Atlanta, GA.
- Invited Speaker, "Bridging Asian, American, and Asian American Identities in the 21st Century," Syracuse University, NY, April 16, 2010.
- Invited Speaker, "Lions, Tigers, and Dragons, Oh My!: An Introduction to Asian American History, Stereotypes, and Identities," Emerson College, MA, November 3, 2009.
Recent Media Quotations
- Quoted by the Washington Post, "Familiar Ad Trope: Pairing White Men and Asian American Women" article by Paul Farhi, September 28, 2012.
- Quoted by WEBZ 93.1 FM Chicago, "Asian-American Men Less Likely to Date Interracially" article and radio segment by Niala Boodhoo, August 29, 2012.
- Quoted by the TheDailyBeast.com (operated by Newsweek magazine), "Texas Teenager Diane Tran Jailed for Working Hard?" article by Joie Chen, April 30, 2012.
- Cited by the Wall Street Journal, "The Real Reason Why Asian Americans Are Outmarrying Less" article by Jeff Yang, April 16, 2012.Cited by the New York Times, "For Asian-American Couples, a Tie That Binds" article by Rachel L. Swarns, March 30, 2012.
- Quoted by the Press of Atlantic City, "Casinos Lure Asian Communities with Lunar New Year Festivities" article by Wallace McKelvey, January 23, 2012.
- Quoted by the Los Angeles Times, "Unemployment Lasts Longer for Asian Americans" article by Alana Semuels, September 7, 2010.
- Quoted in USA Today, "Cultural Factors Help Limit Recession’s Impact" article , written by Haya El Nasser, November 16, 2009.
- Quoted in The Hill, "Cutting Her Own Path" article, written by Kris Kitto, September 10, 2009.
- Quoted in Marie Claire magazine, "The New Trophy Wives: Asian Women" article, written by Ying Chu, August 2009.