Education and Interests
(Ph.D., Columbia 1978)
Family, Families and Work, Gender, Carework, Race and Care
- “Rethinking Families and community: The color, Class, and Centraility of Extended Kin Ties” Sociological Forum., v. 26, #1, March 2011.
- “Giving and Taking Family Leaves: Right or Privilege.” Yale Journal of Law and Feminism, v. 21, #1, Forthcoming. (Naomi Gerstel and Amy Armenia)
- “Fathering, Class, and Gender: A Comparison of Physicians and EMTs.” Gender & Society, v. 23, #2: 161-187, 2009. (Carla Shows and Naomi Gerstel)
- “Employers Meet Families: Gender, Class, and Paid Work Hour Differences Among Four Occupations.” Social Indicators Research, Dec. 2008. (Dan Clawson, Naomi Gerstel, and Jillian Crocker)
- “In Search of Time.” Review Essay of Jerry Jacobs and Kathleen Gerson, The Time Divide and Harriet Presser, Working in a 24/7 Economy, Science, v. 308, #5719, April 8, 2005.
- “Marriage: The Good, the Bad, and the Greedy.” Contexts, v. 5, #4: 16-22, 2006. (Naomi Gerstel and Natasha Sarkisian)
- “Extended Family Integration Among Mexicans and Euro-Americans: Ethnicity, Gender and Class.” Journal of Marriage and Family, February, 2007. (Natalia Sarkisian, Mariana Gerena, Naomi Gerstel) Race, Class Gender Section Award for Distinguished Article. American Sociological Association, 2008.
- “Kin Support Among Blacks and Whites: Race and Family Organization.” American Sociological Review, December, 2004. (Natasha Sarkisian and Naomi Gerstel).
- “Families at Work: Expanding the Boundaries”. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press, 2002. Co-editors Dan Clawson and Robert Zussman.
- “Caring for Young Children: What the U.S. Can Learn from Some European Examples.” Contexts, 1(4): 28-35, 2002. (Dan Clawson and Naomi Gerstel)
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Grant, “Unofficial Flexibility: An Analysis of Actual Day-to-Day Schedules” (co PI: Dan Clawson and Naomi Gerstel), 2008-2009.
- Contesting Time: Negotiations about Work Hours by Gender and Class. (co-PI Dan Clawson and Naomi Gerstel)
- Unpaid Caregiving to Kin and Non-Kin: Race, Gender, and Well-Being. NIH. (subcontractor Natasha Sarkisian)
- National Science Foundation Grant & Second Supplemental NSF Grant for “Explaining Job Hours and Schedules: Individual, Familial, and Organizational Processes in Four Health Care Occupations” (co PI: Naomi Gerstel and Dan Clawson), 2006-2009.
- 2004-05. National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT). EMS Personnel: Work Hours and Schedules. Co-PI: Dan Clawson.
- 2000-06. American Sociological Association. Editorship of the Rose Series in Sociology. With Robert Zussman, Randall Stokes, Joya Misra, Dan Clawson, and Douglas Anderton, co-editors.