Education and Interests
(Ph.D., UCLA 1968)
Business and Professions, Markets, Careers, Corporate Crime, Qualitative Methods.
- "Do You Know...?": The Jazz Repertoire in Action 2009 (University of Chicago Press). with Howards S. Becker.
- Art From Start to Finish. 2005 (University of Chicago Press). With Howard S. Becker.
- "Repertoire de Jazz" Sociologie de l'art. 2005. Paris. With Howard S. Becker.
- "Hazards of The Market," with Wayne E. Baker and Gene Fisher, American Sociological Review, 63(2):147-177. 1998.
- "Role as Resource in the Hollywood Film Industry," 1994 American Journal of Sociology.
- "The Dynamics of Role Enactment," with G. M. Platt and C. Gordon, in Self, Collective Behavior and Society: Essays Honoring The Contributions of Ralph H. Turner, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1994, Pp. 235-248.
- "The Social Organization of Conspiracy: Illegal Networks in The Heavy Electrical Equipment Industry," American Sociological Review, 1993. (Winner of The Max Weber Award for Distinguished Scholarship.)
- "Strategies for Managing Suppliers of Professional Services," California Management Review, 1992.
- "Organizational Cognition in a Jazz Ensemble," with John Voyeur in Empirical Studies of the Arts, 7: 57-77. Reprinted in Proceedings of The Academy of Management. 1986. Winner of Best Paper Award.
- Music on Demand: Composers and Careers in the Hollywood Film Industry, Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books. 1983.
- "Dilemmas In Commercial Work: Hollywood Film Composers and Their Clients," 1976.