Joya MisraPersonal Web Page
Education and Interests
(Ph.D., Emory, 1994)
Comparative Political Economy, Race/Gender/Class, Welfare States, Methods & Statistics.
- Irene Böckmann, Joya Misra, and Michelle Budig. Forthcoming. “Mothers’ Employment in Wealthy Countries: How Do Cultural and Institutional Factors Shape the Motherhood Employment and Working Hours Gap?” Social Forces.
- Joya Misra and Marta Murray-Close. 2014. “The Gender Wage Gap in the US and Cross Nationally.” Sociology Compass. 8/11: 1281–1295.
- Joya Misra and Eiko Strader. 2013. “Gender Pay Equity in Advanced Countries: The Role of Parenthood and Policies.” Journal of International Affairs. 67(1): 27–41.
- Kyla Walters and Joya Misra. 2013. “Bringing Collaborative Teaching into Doctoral Programs: Faculty and Graduate Student Co-teaching as Experiential Training.” American Sociologist. 44(3): 292–301.
- Stephanie Moller, Joya Misra, and Eiko Strader. 2013. “A Cross-National Look at How Welfare States Reduce Inequality.” Sociological Compass. 7(2): 135–146.
- Jennifer Lundquist, Joya Misra, and KerryAnn O’Meara. “2012 Parental Leave Usage by Fathers and Mothers at an American University.” Fathering. 10(3): 337–363.
- Joya Misra, Abby Templer, and Jennifer Lundquist. 2012. “Gender, Work-Time, and Care Responsibility among Faculty.” Sociological Forum. 29(2): 300–323.
- Michelle Budig, Joya Misra, and Irene Böckmann. 2012. “The Motherhood Wage Penalty in Cross-National Perspective: The Importance of Work-Family Policies and Cultural Attitudes?” Social Politics. 19(2): 163–193.
- Joya Misra, Stephanie Moller, Eiko Strader, and Elizabeth Wemlinger. 2012. “Family Policies, Employment and Poverty Among Partnered and Single Mothers.” Research in Social Stratification and Mobilility. 30(1): 113–128.
- Joya Misra, Ragini Saira Malhotra, and Diego Leal. 2015. Gendered Migration and Networks of Care. Eastern Sociological Society meetings, New York.
- Irene Böckmann, Joya Misra, and Michelle Budig. 2014. Mothers’ Employment in 19 Wealthy Western Countries: How Cultural and Institutional Factors Shape the Motherhood Gap in Employment (with Irene Böckmann and Michelle Budig). WRFN Conference, New York.
- Kyla Walters and Joya Misra. 2014. Good Jobs or Bad Jobs? The Retail Service Economy. Eastern Sociological Society, Baltimore.
- Joya Misra. 2013. Thematic Session: Overwork and Underwork: Inequalities and Availability of Work. Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, New York, NY.
- Joya Misra. 2013. Thematic Session: Conceptualizing Inequality: Processes and Paradoxes. Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, New York, NY.
- NSF. Collaborative Research: Work-Family Policy and Poverty. (2010–2011)
- NSF. The Cross-National Effects of Work-Family Policies on the Wage Penalty for Motherhood Using Multi-level Models. (2009–2010)
- NSF. The Cross-National Effects of Work-Family Policies on the Wage Penalty for Motherhood. (2006–2008)
- NSF. Gender, Culture, and the State: Family Policy in Conservative Countries. (2001–2004)