Joya MisraPersonal Web Page
Education and Interests
(Ph.D., Emory, 1994)
Comparative Political Economy, Race/Gender/Class, Welfare States, Methods & Statistics.
- Joya Misra, Michelle Budig, and Irene Boeckmann. 2011. "Work-Family Policies and the Effects of Children on Women's Employment Hours and Wages." Community, Work, and Family. 14(2):139-147.
- Joya Misra, Michelle Budig, and Irene Boeckmann. 2011. "Cross-National Patterns in Individual and Household Employment and Work Hours by Gender and Parenthood." Research in Sociology of Work. 22:169-207.
- Joya Misra, Jennifer Lundquist, Elissa Dahlberg Holmes, and Stephanie Agiomavritis. "The Ivory Ceiling of Service Work." Academe. 97(1):22-26.
- Michelle Budig and Joya Misra. 2010. "How Carework Employment Shapes Earnings in a Cross-National Perspective." International Labour Review. 149(4):441-460.
- Joya Misra and Lucian Jude. 2008. "The Effect of Family Policy on Women's Employment Rates Historical Evidence from France and the Netherlands." Lane Kenworthy and Alexander Hicks' Method and Substance in Macro-Comparative Analysis. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Dan Clawson, Doug Anderton, Naomi Gerstel, Joya Misra, Randall Stokes, Robert Zussman, and Michael Burawoy (Eds.). 2007. Public Sociology: Fifteen Eminent Sociologists Debate the Politics and the Profession in the Twenty-First Century. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Joya Misra, Stephanie Moller, and Michelle Budig. 2007. "Work-Family Policies and Poverty for Partnered and Single Women in Europe and North America." Gender & Society. 21:804-827.
- Joya Misra, Michelle Budig, and Stephanie Moller. "Reconciliation Policies and the Effects of Motherhood on Employment, Earnings, and Poverty." Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis. 9(2):135-55.
- Joya Misra, Jonathan Woodring, and Sabine Merz. 2006. "The Globalization of Carework: Immigration, Economic Restructuring, and the World-System." Globalization. 3(3):317-332.
- Joya Misra, Michelle Budig, and Irene Boeckmann. 2010. "A Cross-national Perspective on Gender, Parenthood, and Employment." Paper presented at the American Sociological Association meetings, Atlanta, GA.
- Joya Misra, Jennifer Lundquist, and Abby Templer. 2010. "Gendered Patterns of Work-Time and Care-Time among Faculty." Paper presented at the American Sociological Association meetings, Atlanta, GA.
- Michelle Budig, Joya Misra, and Irene Boeckmann. 2010. "The Wage Penalty for Motherhood in a Cross-National Perspective: Relationships with Work-Family Policies and Cultural Attitudes." Paper presented at the Population Association of America meeting, Dallas, TX.
- NSF. Collaborative Research: Work-Family Policy and Poverty. (2010-2011)
- NSF. The Cross-National Effects of Work-Family Policies on the Wage Penalty for Motherhood Using Multi-level Models. (2009-2010)
- NSF. The Cross-National Effects of Work-Family Policies on the Wage Penalty for Motherhood. (2006-2008)
- NSF. Gender, Culture, and the State: Family Policy in Conservative Countries. (2001-2004)