Don Tomaskovic-DeveyCurriculum Vitae
Education and Interests
(Ph.D. Boston University 1984)
Organizations and Inequality, Economic Sociology, Sex, Race and Class Processes, Methodology
Don Tomaskovic-Devey is interested in the processes that generate workplace inequality. He has projects on the impact of financialization upon US income distribution, workplace desegregation and equal opportunity, network models of labor market structure, and relational inequality as a theoretical and empirical project. His long-term agenda is to work with others to move the social science of inequality to a more fully relational and organizational stance. He is advancing this agenda through studies of jobs and workplaces, as well as social relationships between jobs within workplaces and the social relationships that link organizations to each other.
- Don Tomaskovic-Devey (PI) and Lee Badgett and Fidan Kurtulis (Co-PIs). Building an Interdisciplinary Equal Employment Opportunity Research Network and Data Capacity, September 2013 - September 2016. National Science Foundation.
- Don Tomaskovic-Devey (PI) and Ken-Hou Lin (Co-PI). Does Financialization Contribute to Growing Income Inequality? April 2013 - May 2016. Institute for New Economic Thinking.
- Kevin Stainback and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey. 2012. Documenting Desegregation: Racial and Gender Segregation in Private Sector Employment since the Civil Rights Act. NY: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Donald Tomaskovic-Devey and Ken-Hou Lin. Forthcoming. "Financialization: Causes, Inequality Consequences, and Policy Implications." North Carolina Banking Institute Journal.
- Dustin Avent-Holt and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey. Forthcoming. "A Relational Theory of Earnings Inequality." American Behavioral Scientist.
- Ken-Hou Lin and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey. 2013. "Financialization and US Income Inequality, 1970-2008." American Journal of Sociology 118:1284-1329.
- Donald Tomaskovic-Devey. 2013. "What Might a Labor Market Look Like?" Research in the Sociology of Work 24:45-80.
- Ayse Yetis-Bayraktar, Michelle Budig, and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey. 2013. "From the Shop Floor to the Kitchen Floor: Maternal Occupational Complexity and Children's Reading and Math Skills." Work and Occupations 40:37-64.
- Dustin Avent-Holt and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, 2012. "Relational Inequality: Gender Earnings Inequality in US and Japanese Manufacturing Plants in the Early 1980s." Social Forces 91:157-180.
- Fidan Kurtulus and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, 2012. "Do Female Top Managers Help Women to Advance? A Panel Study Using EEO-1 Records." Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 639:173:197.
- Patricia Y. Warren, Eric A. Stewart, Donald Tomaskovic-Devey and Mar Gertz. 2012. "White's Residential Preferences: Reassessing the Relevance of Criminal and Economic Stereotypes." Race and Justice 2:231-249.
- Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, 2011. "The Politics and Practice of Sociology in the Courts." Sociological Methods & Research 40:621-634.
- Donald Tomaskovic-Devey and Ken-Hou Lin. 2011. "Economic Rents and the Financialization of the US Economy." American Sociological Review 76:538-559.
- Kevin Stainback, Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, and Sheryl Skaggs. 2010. "Organizational Approaches to Inequality: Inertia, Relative Power, and Environments." Annual Review of Sociology. Posted online March 18, 2010.
- Dustin Avent-Holt and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey 2010. "The Relational Basis of Inequality: Generic and Contingent Wage Distribution Processes." Work and Occupations 37:162-19.
- Kevin Stainback and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, 2009. "Intersections of Power and Privilege: Long-Term Trends in Managerial Representation." American Sociological Review 74:800-820.
- Donald Tomaskovic-Devey and Patricia Warren. 2009. "Explaining and Eliminating Racial Profiling." Contexts 8:34-39.
- Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, Dustin Avent-Holt, Catherine Zimmer and Sandra Harding, 2009. "The Categorical Generation of Organizational Inequality: A Comparative Test of Tilly's Durable Inequality." Research in Social Stratification and Mobility 27:128-142.