Dan ClawsonPersonal Web Page
Education and Interests
(Ph.D., SUNY–Stony Brook, 1978)
Labor Movements, Work Hours and Schedules, Corporatization of the University, Health Care, Social Movements
- Dan Clawson and Max Page, "The Future of Higher Education." New York: Routledge 2011.
- Dan Clawson, "Tenure and the Future of the University." Science vol. 324 (#5931), pp. 1147-1148 (May 29, 2009).
- Dan Clawson and Marisha Leiblum. "Class Struggle in Higher Education." Equity and Excellence in Education. 2008. Vol. 41 No. 1, pp. 12-30.
- Dan Clawson, Robert Zussman, Joya Misra, Naomi Gerstel, Randall Stokes, Douglas Anderton, and Michael Burawoy, editors. Public Sociology: Fifteen Eminent Sociologists Debate Politics & the Profession in the Twenty-First Century. Berkeley , CA : University of California Press, 2007.
Essays responding to Michael Burawoy's 2004 presidential address. In addition to Michael Burawoy, contributors include Andrew Abbott, Patricia Hill Collins, Barbara Ehrenreich, Evelyn Nakano Glenn, Sharon Hays, Douglas Massey, Orlando Patterson, Frances Fox Piven, Lynn Smith-Lovin, Judith Stacey, Arthur Stinchcombe, Alain Touraine , Immanuel Wallerstein, and William Julius Wilson.
- Aldon Morris and Dan Clawson, "Lessons of the Civil Rights Movement for a Workers Rights Movement." WorkingUSA: Journal of Labor and Society Vol. 8 pp. 685-706, December 2005.
- The Next Upsurge: Labor and the New Social Movements. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2003.
[Also see the two forums on this book, each with a half dozen commentators evaluating, arguing with, and extending the book and my response to them: Labor History August 2004 and Critical Sociology 2005.]
- Families at Work: Expanding the Bounds, edited by Naomi Gerstel, Dan Clawson, and Robert Zussman. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press, 2002.
- "Caring for Our Young: Child Care in Europe and the United States." (Dan Clawson and Naomi Gerstel), Contexts vol. 1 no. 4, pp. 28-35, Fall-Winter 2002.
- "Politics is Money," Actes de la Recherche en Sciences Sociales 138, pp. 34-46, juin 2001.
- "Unions' Responses to Family Concerns." (Naomi Gerstel and Dan Clawson), Social Problems 48:277-298, May 2001.
- "What Has Happened to the U.S. Labor Movement? Union Decline and Renewal" (with Mary Ann Clawson). Annual Review of Sociology. Volume 25, pp. 95-119, 1999.
- Dollars and Votes: How Business Campaign Contributions Subvert Democracy, with Alan Neustadtl and Mark Weller. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press, 1998.
- Required Reading: Sociology's Most Influential Books, edited by Dan Clawson. Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press, 1998.
- Money Talks: Corporate PACs and Political Influence (with Alan Neustadtl and Denise Scott). New York: Basic Books. Cloth, 1992; paper, 1993.
- Bureaucracy and the Labor Process: The Transformation of U.S. Industry 1860-1920. New York: Monthly Review Press, 1980.
- "The Logic of Business Unity: Corporate Contributions to the 1980 Congressional Election" (with Alan Neustadtl and James Bearden). American Sociological Review 51: 797-811 (December 1986).
- "Interlocks, PACs, and Corporate Conservatism" (with Alan Neustadtl). American Journal of Sociology 94: 749-773 (January 1989).
- "Corporate Political Groupings: PAC Contributions to the 1980 Congressional Elections" (with Alan Neustadtl). American Sociological Review 53: 172-190 (April 1988).
- "Women's Participation in Local Union Leadership: The Massachusetts Experience" (with Dale Melcher, Jennifer Eichstedt, and Shelley Eriksen). Industrial and Labor Relations Review 45: 267-280 (January 1992).