Tom JuravichCurriculum Vitae
Education and Interests
(Ph.D., University of Massachusetts–Amherst, 1983)
Labor Movements, Work and the Labor Process, Ethnographic Research, Strategic Corporate Research and Campaigns, Immigration, Working Class and Union Culture
- Juravich, Tom and Teresa Healy. Maybe I'm Not Canadian Enough: The Struggle of Racialized Workers Confronting a Factory Shut-down. Ottawa: Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, 2010 forthcoming.
- Juravich, Tom. At the Altar of the Bottom Line: The Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century. Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press, 2009.
- Juravich, Tom (editor). The Future of Work in Massachusetts. Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press, 2007.
- Juravich, Tom. "Beating Global Capital: A Framework and Method for Union Strategic Corporate Research and Campaigns" in Kate Bronfenbrenner (ed.) Global Unions: Challenging Global Capital Through Cross-Border Campaigns. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2007.
- Juravich, Tom, Kate Bronfenbrenner and Robert Hickey. "Significant Victories: An Analysis of First Contracts in Public and Private Sectors" in Richard Block, et al. (eds.) Justice on the Job: Perspectives on the Erosion of Collective Bargaining in the United States. Kalamazoo, MI: Upjohn, 2006.
- Juravich, Tom and Kate Bronfenbrenner. "Bring the Study of Work Back to Labor Studies" (guest editor), Labor Studies Journal, Vol. 30, No.1, Spring 2005: i-vii.
- Juravich, Tom and Kate Bronfenbrenner. "Out of the Ashes: The Steelworkers' Global Campaign at Bridgestone/Firestone" in Multinational Companies and Transnational Workplace Issues. William N. Cooke (ed.). Westport, CT: Quorum Books, 2003.
- Bronfenbrenner, Kate and Tom Juravich. "The Evolution of Strategic and Coordinated Bargaining Campaigns in the 1990s: The Steelworkers' Experience" in Rekindling the Movement: Labor's Quest for Relevance in the Twenty-First Century. Lowell Turner (ed.). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2001: 211-237.
- Juravich, Tom and Kate Bronfenbrenner. Ravenswood: The Steelworkers' Victory and the Revival of American Labor. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1999.
- Juravich, Tom and Jeff Hilgert. "UNITE's Victory at Richmark: Community-Based Union Organizing in Communities of Color," Labor Studies Journal, Vol. 24, No. 1, Spring 1999.
- Juravich, Tom. "Employee Involvement, Work Reorganization, and the New Labor Movement: Toward a Radical Integration," New Labor Forum, No. 2, Spring 1998.
- Juravich, Tom, William F. Hartford and James R. Green. Commonwealth of Toil: Chapters in the History of Massachusetts Workers and Their Unions. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1996.
- Bronfenbrenner, Kate and Tom Juravich. Union Organizing in the Public Sector: An Analysis of State and Local Elections. Ithaca, NY: ILR Press, 1995.
- Juravich, Tom and Peter R. Shergold. "The Impact of Unions Upon the Voting Behavior of Their Members," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 41, April 1988, pp. 374-385.
- Chaos on the Shop Floor: A Worker's View of Quality, Productivity and Management. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press, 1985.
Current Funded Projects
- "Evaluating Organizational Support for Undocumented Workers: A Case Study of the New Bedford ICE Raid," Tom Juravich and Corinn Williams, Future of Work in Massachusetts.
- "Communities in Crisis: The Closing of Nichols and Stone," Tom Juravich, Massachusetts AFL-CIO.