Education and Interests
(Ph.D. University of Massachusetts Amherst 1983)
Labor Movements, Work and the Labor Process, Ethnographic Research, Strategic Corporate Research and Campaigns, Immigration, Working Class and Union Culture
- Juravich, Tom and Teresa Healy. Maybe I’m Not Canadian Enough: The Struggle of Racialized Workers Confronting a Factory Shut-down. Ottawa: Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, 2010 forthcoming.
- Juravich, Tom. At the Altar of the Bottom Line: The Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century. Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press, 2009. http://www.altarofthebottomline.com
- Juravich, Tom (editor). The Future of Work in Massachusetts. Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press, 2007.
- Juravich, Tom. “Beating Global Capital: A Framework and Method for Union Strategic Corporate Research and Campaigns,” in Kate Bronfenbrenner (ed.) Global Unions: Challenging Global Capital Through Cross-Border Campaigns. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2007.
- Juravich, Tom, Kate Bronfenbrenner and Robert Hickey. “Significant Victories: An Analysis of First Contracts in Public and Private Sectors.” in Richard Block, et al. (eds.) Justice on the Job: Perspectives on the Erosion of Collective Bargaining in the United States. Kalamazoo, MI: Upjohn, 2006.
- Juravich, Tom and Kate Bronfenbrenner. “Bring the Study of Work Back to Labor Studies” (guest editor), Labor Studies Journal, Vol. 30, No.1, Spring 2005: i-vii.
- Juravich, Tom and Kate Bronfenbrenner. “Out of the Ashes: The Steelworkers’ Global Campaign at Bridgestone/Firestone.” in Multinational Companies and Transnational Workplace Issues. William N. Cooke (ed.). Westport, CT: Quorum Books, 2003.
- Bronfenbrenner, Kate and Tom Juravich. “The Evolution of Strategic and Coordinated Bargaining Campaigns in the 1990s: The Steelworkers’ Experience.” in Rekindling the Movement: Labor’s Quest for Relevance in the Twenty-First Century. Lowell Turner (ed.). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2001: 211-237.
- Juravich, Tom and Kate Bronfenbrenner. Ravenswood: The Steelworkers’ Victory and the Revival of American Labor. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1999.
- Juravich, Tom and Jeff Hilgert. “UNITE’s Victory at Richmark: Community-Based Union Organizing in Communities of Color,” Labor Studies Journal, Vol. 24, No. 1, Spring 1999.
- Juravich, Tom. “Employee Involvement, Work Reorganization, and the New Labor Movement: Toward a Radical Integration,” New Labor Forum, No. 2, Spring 1998.
- Juravich, Tom, William F. Hartford and James R. Green. Commonwealth of Toil: Chapters in the History of Massachusetts Workers and Their Unions. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1996.
- Bronfenbrenner, Kate and Tom Juravich. Union Organizing in the Public Sector: An Analysis of State and Local Elections. Ithaca, NY: ILR Press, 1995.
- Juravich, Tom and Peter R. Shergold. “The Impact of Unions Upon the Voting Behavior of Their Members,” Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 41, April 1988, pp. 374-385.
- Chaos on the Shop Floor: A Worker’s View of Quality, Productivity and Management. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press, 1985.
Current Funded Projects
- “Evaluating Organizational Support for Undocumented Workers: A Case Study of the New Bedford ICE Raid,” Tom Juravich and Corinn Williams, Future of Work in Massachusetts.
- “Communities in Crisis: The Closing of Nichols and Stone,” Tom Juravich, Massachusetts AFL-CIO.