Chair: Rebecca Spencer (email@example.com)
Rules Committee Agenda Meetings
The Rules Committee will hold its agenda meetings on the following dates during the 2019-2020 academic year:
August 26, (Monday, time TBD)
December 13 (12:00 PM, University Club)
January 13 (10:30-12)
March 13 (Campus Center Room 901)
May 18 (Campus Center Room 901)
June 15 (10:15-11:45, Campus Center Room 901)
Unless otherwise noted, Rules Committee agenda meetings will be held on Fridays, at 8:30 AM, in Campus Center Room 801.
Rules Committee/Administration Meetings
The Rules Committee will meet with the Administration on the following dates during the 2019-2020 academic year:
August 26 (1:30 - 3:00 pm)
Unless otherwise noted, Rules Committee/Administration meetings will be held on Mondays, at 8:30 AM, in the Whitmore Board Room.
The Rules Committee shall:
- Receive from the President, Chancellor, Provost and Deans requests for Senate advice, and refer them to appropriate Councils and Committees for study. The Secretary of the Senate shall publicize requests that have been acted upon, indicating to which body each has been referred;
- Receive from the Secretary all items of new business, including those proposed by the Faculty, Councils, Committees and the Student Senates, and determine the appropriate disposition;
- Report to the Senate regularly regarding the status of all items of business submitted to the Rules Committee;
- Provide for the temporary replacement of elected officers in case of resignation or retirement;
- Prepare the Senate agenda;
- Review the Constitution and Bylaws, the Council and Committee structure, for needed revisions and report thereon, not later than February of each year;
- Continuously review and investigate the implementation of actions of the Senate, its Councils and Committees, and report thereon at least every semester;
- Conduct regular elections and by-elections to the Senate;
- Recommend changes in election districts, as needed;
- Act in an advisory capacity to the President, the Chancellor, and/or the Provost during the summer months or the January break, and in cases of emergency, as determined by the President, the Chancellor or the Provost;
- Act in an advisory capacity to the administration to make faculty nominations to non-Senate bodies, or bodies where Faculty Senate participation is not called for;
- When necessary, appropriate and expedient, act for the Faculty Senate in routine matters (such as course approvals recommended by the Academic Matters Council or Graduate Council) during the summer months and January break, provided that any such actions shall be reported and confirmed at the first regular meeting of the Faculty Senate following such action by the Rules Committee; and
- When necessary, appropriate, and expedient, act for the Faculty Senate in unanticipated, time-constrained situations during the summer months and January break, provided that any such actions shall be reported and confirmed at the first regular meeting of the Faculty Senate following such actions by the Rules Committee.
Its membership shall be nine members, as provided in Chapter 3 of these Bylaws.
The terms of office shall be as provided in Chapter 3 of these Bylaws.
From Chapter 6 Section 3 of the Faculty Senate Bylaws.