Joint Task Force on Strategic Oversight
Co-Chairs: Nancy Cohen
2012-2013 Strategic Planning Process (on Provost's Website)
Joint Task Force on Strategic Oversight (JTFSO) Draft Planning Guide, October 10, 2012: "Impact, Innovation and Integration: Renewing the Promise of the Public Research University"
In response to a Trustee mandate, and in preparation for its NEASC reaccreditation review in 2009, the University of Massachusetts Amherst produced the “Framework for Excellence: The Flagship Report, Spring 2009"( http://www.umass.edu/chancellor/framework-excellence), which set the stage for a subsequent consultative process that assisted the campus in understanding its goals and options in a more broadly systematic way. In order to fulfill its responsibilities with respect to this strategic planning effort, the Faculty Senate created the Ad Hoc Committee on Strategic Oversight (AHCSO), which was active throughout the process and which delivered its interim report at the Faculty Senate meeting of May 3, 2012 (http://www.umass.edu/senate/fs/Minutes/2011-2012/718TH_MINUTES_05-03-12.pdf).
During this period, the institution also underwent its re-accreditation review by NEASC, which resulted in positive action but also a request that the “Fifth-Year Report,” due on August 15, 2013, give particular emphasis to the following concerns (letter of February 24, 2012, from NEASC to Chancellor Robert Holub):
- developing a strategic plan that sets overall institutional priorities;
- developing a facilities master plan and priorities for addressing deferred maintenance;
- implementing the new general education program, following a four-credit plan, ensuring that quality is sustained and that student learning is in concert with the stated learning outcomes;
- implementing a strategic enrollment plan which includes a focus on the institution’s goals for retention and graduation of ALANA students and students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds;
- achieving a balanced and sustainable operating budget.
On June 30, 2012, Chancellor Robert Holub completed his term and, on July 1, 2012, was succeeded by Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy. Chancellor Subbaswamy has expressed his desire for the campus to imagine moving beyond the “Framework for Excellence,” perhaps embracing issues raised in the recent report of the National Academies, Research Universities and the Future of America: Ten Breakthrough Actions Vital to Our Nation’s Prosperity and Security ( http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13299) and confronting the challenges of focusing resources, controlling costs, and demonstrating value, in order to create one of the leading public flagship universities of the next generation.
Since the mandate for the Ad Hoc Committee on Strategic Oversight (Sen. Doc. No. 09-042A) expired at the end of AY2011-2012, the Faculty Senate must act if its work is to continue into the next phase of the institution’s strategic planning. The leadership of the Faculty Senate and the central administration have agreed that a Joint Task Force on Strategic Oversight would be the most appropriate means for deliberating the mandated response to NEASC, new issues raised in the report of the National Academies and by Chancellor Subbaswamy, and other strategic issues that may arise.
To effect this planning process, the Faculty Senate is hereby establishing an Ad Hoc Committee to be named the Joint Task Force on Strategic Oversight. The Committee is charged to:
- Make recommendations to the Chancellor with respect to a high-level Strategic Plan which will serve as the institution’s mandated response to NEASC, due August 15, 2013.
- Complete the new Strategic Plan, building on the “Framework for Excellence” but also moving beyond it, perhaps in ways suggested by the National Academies Report, Research Universities and the Future of America, in order to create on the leading public universities of the next generation.
- Monitor the subsequent development of administrative and academic unit plans, and lead the discussion of and response to them.
From the Special Report of the Rules Committee concerning the Establishment of an Ad Hoc Committee to be named the Joint Task Force on Strategic Oversight (JTFSO), Sen. Doc. No. 13-004C.