February 24, 2012
STPEC Reunion Weekend to Mark 40-Year Celebration, Lennox Retirement
This year marks the 40th anniversary of the creation of the Social Thought and Political Economy (STPEC) program at UMass Amherst. It also represents the end of an era with the impending retirement of STPEC director, Sara Lennox, after thirty years of leadership. To celebrate, a reunion for the STPEC community will take place on campus, April 13–14. The weekend promises to be a vigorous occasion of conversation, thought, socializing, and activism!
This event is a wonderful opportunity for STPEC alumni and friends to honor and commemorate the program’s many accomplishments, including:
• Being heralded by the Fiske Guide to Colleges as a program for “students seeking to stand out from the masses”
• Preparing students for action in the world with a diverse and innovative interdisciplinary course of study
• Addressing ideas that have shaped and are shaping the world
• Achieving the highest ranking for undergraduate student satisfaction of all majors in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences and second highest ranking in the University
• Confronting fundamental questions often ignored or neglected by traditional academic thought
• Having among its ranks alumni of distinction, like Peter Thomson ’85, environment editor for PRI’s “The World” and filmmaker Sarah Foudy ’96, winner of an Emmy Award for her documentary work.
In addition to alumni panel discussions on topics like “Activism in the Academy, “Share the Wealth,” “And Justice for All,” and “Creating Critical Consciousness” and a gala celebration of the program, a retirement and farewell party for Lennox will recognize her unwavering dedication to and leadership of the STPEC program. To honor her many years of distinguished service, also as professor of German studies, faculty, staff and committed alumni are creating the Sara Lennox Scholarship Fund. Gifts to mark this special time in STPEC’s history and to pay homage to Sara’s leadership are most welcome and can be made online.
For more information about the event and registration, click here.