This scholarship was established by Alan LeBovidge ´64 (economics) and his wife Carol to provide undergraduates the opportunity to do meaningful research with a UMass Amherst faculty member in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Recipients receive a stipend to support up to 10 hours per week during one semester of substantive research assistance on a collaborative research project.
Eligibility: Students must be nominated by the SBS faculty member for whom they will be providing research assistance. Faculty may nominate only one student per year.
Selection: Five awards of up to $2,000 will be made. A review committee from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will select recipients in the spring semester. Selection criteria are as follows:
- Academic merit
- Faculty recommendation
- Quality of proposal, including an adequate description of the research plan
- Preference will be given to applications that show genuine collaboration between the student applicant and the sponsoring faculty member
- Fit of research project with student’s academic and future goals
- The degree to which the project provides the student with clear opportunities for research involvement and development of professional experience
Deadline to apply: Wednesday, March 30, 2016
The recipients of this award will be expected to:
- Write a thank-you letter to Mr. and Mrs. LeBovidge
- Attend the scholarship reception on Sunday, May 1, 2016.
Contact: Susan McDonough , Associate Director of External Affairs for Donor Relations
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
235 Draper Hall
40 Campus Center Way
Amherst, MA 01003-9244