The Office of Pre-Award Services (OPAS) proposal development specialists are dedicated to helping faculty prepare successful proposals by providing the following services and expertise in support of proposal coordination and construction including:
- Proposal and budget building support in UMass ERA Systems and sponsor portals
- Sponsor Guidelines/Solicitation Analysis and Assessment
- Proposal and Process Management - Timelines - Budget - Forms - Compilation - Kuali
- Pre-Routing Review of Application Documents (sponsor formatting and content requirements)
- Compliance between the proposal and sponsor guidelines, federal and state law, and university policies, procedures, and compliance regulations
- Confirmation of the budget and budget justification for accuracy, congruency, reasonableness of cost, allocability, and allowability as well as compliance with sponsor guidelines, federal and state regulations, and university policies and procedures
- Coordination of subcontractor documentation
- Content expert and liaison with sponsoring agencies
- Collaborates with the Office of Project Management and Training and the Office of Research Development to support the development of large complex sponsored projects
Proposal assistance request form
To request support, complete and submit a proposal assistance request form. Carefully consider the timelines shown on the request form. As a first step however, Principal Investigators should check with their department business managers or college/school-based grants office prior to engaging OPAS in the proposal development process. Depending on their own availability and the size/complexity of the proposed projects, they may provide a referral for the PIs to request OPAS support.
Requests for service should be made at least 6-8 weeks prior to the university's Five-Day internal deadline. The emphasis is on supporting cross-disciplinary and large-scale or complex research programs. Requests with insufficient lead time are unlikely to be supported.
OPAS Pre-Award Research Administrators who specialize in proposal development are available to support faculty and staff across campus without specific assignments to any one college, school or department. Please consult the OPAS Staff Directory for contact information (see administrators designated for “Proposal Development”).
Location: 155 Hicks Way, Dickinson Hall, Room 104