The University has invested in resources to assist faculty and staff in developing proposals for sponsored project funding. An outline of the basic steps and related resources follows:
- Identify funding opportunities - The Office of Research Development offers a number of resources to assist investigators in finding extramural funding for research and scholarly activities. Please consult “Find Funding” for more detailed information. The UMass Innovation Institute (UMII) is also available to facilitate academic-industry partnerships, projects, and funding. Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) is available as well to help identify non-federal foundation based funding.
- Work with the Office of Research Development (ORD) to help in the development of Broader Impacts and individual grantsmanship consulting including 1:1 support for narrative development. The CFR office also provides proposal development services in support of non-federal foundation proposals.
- Office of Pre-Award Services (OPAS) supports two functions in the pre-award phase: 1) proposal development, and 2) review and submission services.
- Always check with your department or college before starting to develop a proposal. Depending on availability, they may provide a referral to proposal development services provided by OPAS. As applicable, consult with UMII in support of non-federal industry-related projects; and CFR for non-federal foundation based funding and proposal development.
- Use the left sidebar to navigate major content areas in support of proposal development ranging from the comprehensive Proposal Preparation Guide to critical information regarding Subcontracts, Consultants, Vendors and Collaborators.
- Work with available pre-award support (department, college or OPAS) as needed to build the proposal in SmartGrant. Consult with the Proposal Preparation Guide for detailed information on important topics like Budget Development, Budget Justifications, and Cost-sharing to name a few.
- Finalize and then route the completed proposal via SmartGrant to associated Co-PI(s) Chair(s), Dean(s), and related auxiliary signatories as applicable for approval.
The completed proposal must be logged in at OPAS with 5 days lead time to the sponsor deadline; see Five Day Proposal Submission Procedure for details.
See “Review and Submission” for details on the complete submission process.
See further information on Roles and Responsibilities in the proposal process.