AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION
General Terms and Conditions
The American Heart Association has a web-based Research Administration System, Grants@Heart (link above). As the PI of a newly funded Award, you need to access this system to electronically submit forms required to “Activate Your Award”. These forms include:
- Acceptance Form
- An Agreement – MUST be printed and mailed to AHA with original signatures
- A Medical Subjects Heading (MeSH) Form
- A Subject Use Form
- A Project Budget
- REPORTING: The following reports are required of all AHA grantees and must be submitted electronically via the AHA Research Administration System, Grants@Heart (Login bottom of page) http://my.americanheart.org/professional/Research/AwardsManagement/Awards-Management_UCM_316911_SubHomePage.jsp
- ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS REPORTS
- FINANCIAL REPORTS: Financial reports should be submitted no later than 90 days after the close of each annual Funding Period/each year of Award Period, or no later than 90 days after an authorized transfer of the Award or early Award termination. Reports submitted at the termination of an authorized extension period must be accompanied by a check for the balance of any unexpended funds.
- PAYMENTS: Payments are made through Quarterly Installments (January, April, July, and October)
- BUDGET REVISIONS: Prior approval is required for rebudgeting the following items:
- Rebudgeting of Award funds for the purchase of a piece of equipment totaling more than twenty-five percent (25%) of the annual Project support budget.
- Rebudgeting of Award funds for computers and components of computer systems (including software) beyond a one-time expense of $5,000 requires prior AHA approval.
- NO-COST EXTENSION: In the final year, an Awardee may request a twelve-month extension to complete the project as outlined in the proposal if they cannot be completed in the initial period of the award. This must be completed through the AHA portal (Login at bottom of page): http://my.americanheart.org/professional/Research/AwardsManagement/Awards-Management_UCM_316911_SubHomePage.jsp through the Financial Report Form option. Unexpended funds will be reflected on the Financial Report Form. The amount of carryforward must be within the permitted dollar limitations (see below). Funds remaining at the end of an authorized extension year must be returned to the AHA. A second extension year is not allowed.
- CARRYOVER OF UNEXPENDED FUNDS
The Project support for continuing Fellowship Awards may be carried over from year to year without AHA approval. An extension year is not allowed for Fellowship Awards. Funds remaining at the end of the Award should be returned to the AHA.
If allowed by the funding component, the fellow may reapply through the AHA’s competitive Application process for a third year of funding. Please check the AHA website for more information.
Continuing Year - If there is an unobligated balance of funds of less than $10,000 at the end of an Award Period and if the Principal Investigator is continuing the research, these funds may be carried forward to the next fiscal year without advance approval. This action can be implemented when selecting the appropriate option on the Financial Report form.
If the Principal Investigator is interested in carrying over an amount greater than $10,000, prior approval from the AHA is required. The Principal Investigator must submit a request in writing with the Financial Report form (90 days after the close of the grant year – April 1 or October 1). The Research Committee will review the request and a notice of disposition will be sent to the Principal Investigator.
In their final year, Award recipients (except fellows) may request a twelve-month extension to use a portion of or all unexpended funds by so indicating by selecting the appropriate item on the Financial Report Form. The amount of the carryover must be within the permitted dollar limitations. Funds remaining at the end of an authorized extension year must be returned to the AHA. A second extension year is not allowed.
Extension Year - If there is an unobligated balance of funds inclusively between $500 and $10,000 at the end of the final fiscal period, such funds may be carried forward without advance approval to a twelve-month extension period if utilized for the purpose for which the Award was made. This action can be implemented by selecting the appropriate option on the Financial Report form. Amounts up to the minimum extension carryover of $500 must be returned to the AHA with the Financial Report. Unexpended funds of less than $10 may be retained.
Please contact your Award Administrator for further instructions.
FAQ’s: If you have questions or need clarification of any Award policies, please contact AHA Research Awards Administration at email@example.com.