The Privacy Rule gives all individuals, and hence research subjects, a number of new rights. Items 3, 4 and 6 are of particular relevance to research. Under HIPAA everybody can:
- Request access to their health care information
- Request that their health care information be amended
- Receive, upon request, an accounting of all disclosures of their medical information, if they haven't specifically authorized the disclosures (or another exception does not apply)
- Revoke authorization for the use/disclosure of identifiable health information, to the extent the researchers have not already relied on it.
- Request alternative means or places of being contacted (e.g. home vs. work)
- Request restrictions on uses or disclosures (but a covered entity or researcher is not required to agree).