LIMITED SUBMISSION Smith Family Foundation
Smith Family Foundation
This is a limited submission opportunity. The Smith Family Foundation allows two applications each from each UMass College. Up to five $300,000 awards at $100,000 per year, inclusive of 5% institutional overhead.
This program seeks to support promising junior faculty who are beginning to establish their own laboratories and research programs in basic biomedical science. Since 1992, the Program has funded 137 investigators for a total investment of $25.1 million. UMass Amherst has received $450,000 to date.
Eligibility: Investigators who have completed no more than two years of their first independent
faculty appointment as of July 1, 2014; that is, whose first independent appointment began between July 1, 2012 and December 1, 2014. Independence is critical.
Applications may focus on all fields of basic biomedical science. Investigators in the physical sciences (physics, chemistry, and engineering) with biomedical research projects are also encouraged to apply. Funder online application deadline: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 Project Period: Dec. 1, 2014 - Nov. 30, 2017. Application Materials
If you or your faculty would like to apply, by Friday, April 25, 2014, please send to Linda Sopp, Corporate and Foundation Relations the following in this sequence:
- Last name, first name; department; email and phone, title of research project; month and year hired as independent investigator. Note “yes” or “no:” 1) if you have combined federal and non‐federal funding >$500,000 in direct costs at any time during 12/1/14 – 11/30/16; 2) if you are or were a PI or Co‐P.I. on an R01, P01, Pioneer Award, New Innovator Award or equivalent from federal agencies, e.g. NSF or DOD.
- A lay-language description (maximum of 200 words) of the proposed research that can be understood by the general public.
- Research Project Summary: State the project's broad, long-term objectives and specific aims (maximum of 300 words). Describe concisely the research design and methods for achieving these goals. This abstract is meant to serve as a succinct and accurate description of the proposed work.
- Names, titles, institutions, relationship (e.g., Post Doc advisor) of your proposed two recommenders.
- Names, titles, institutions of any collaborators, and a brief description of their role.
DOCUMENT 2 - Current CV.
For Smith Family Foundation concept papers general suggestions, see Mallinckrodt Foundation above.