Burroughs Wellcome Fund
To: All Faculty in the College of Natural Sciences, School of Public Health and Health Sciences and all investigators researching Infectious Diseases.
Greetings, Below please find a limited submission opportunity with only two nominees allowed per institution. If you are interested in this opportunity please email me by September 16, 2013.
Burroughs Wellcome Fund
Five-year awards provide $500,000 to support accomplished investigators at the assistant professor level to study pathogenesis, with a focus on the interplay between human and microbial biology, shedding light on how human and microbial systems are affected by their encounters. The awards are intended to give recipients the freedom and flexibility to pursue new avenues of inquiry and higher-risk research projects that hold potential for significantly advancing the biochemical, pharmacological, immunological, and molecular biological understanding of how microbes and the human body interact.
- Candidates will generally have an M.D., D.V.M., or Ph.D. degree. (References to degrees include all types of medical and scientific doctoral level degrees.) BWF particularly encourages human health-relevant applications from veterinary scientists.
- Candidates must have an established record of independent research and hold a tenure-track position as an assistant professor or equivalent (at the time of application) at a degree-granting institution. Researchers recently appointed to a faculty position may not have a demonstrated track record sufficient to compete successfully for this award. Exceedingly few newly appointed assistant professors have sufficient independence. Most successful applicants are at or well past their third complete year as an Assistant Professor.
- Candidates must be nominated by accredited, degree-granting institutions in the United States or Canada.
- Applications from non-tenure track investigators in tenure-offering, degree-granting departments or institutions will not be accepted.
- Applications from institutions or departments that do not offer tenure may or may not be accepted. Please see “Institutional Nomination Guidelines" below.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada at the time of application. Documentation of permanent resident status must be provided with the application. Permanent residents of the United States must provide a copy of their Permanent Resident Card (green card) or a copy of a current passport with an I-551 stamp. Permanent residents of Canada must provide a copy of their Landed Immigrant Status form. Persons who have applied for permanent resident status but have not received their government documentation by the time of application are not eligible.
- Candidates at the appropriate career stage who have held or are currently holding a Burroughs Wellcome Fund award must contact BWF in advance to determine eligibility for this program.