Conflict of Interest
A conflict of interest is a set of circumstances that creates a risk that professional judgment or actions regarding a primary interest will be unduly influenced by a secondary interest.
The Amherst campus requires an annual disclosure from all faculty members regarding Outside Activites as definited in Trustee Policy T96-047.
PHS (Public Health Service Agency) Funded Researchers:
The U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) ammended its Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) Regulations effective August 24, 2012. These regulations have unique reporting and conflict management requirements and require an initial disclosure of all financial interest related to the institutional responsibilities of the investigator to the UMass Amherst Office of Research Compliance .
Faculty investigators who are supported by U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) funding, including, but not limited to, NIH, CDC, HRSA, SAMHSA, FDA, and AHRQ, are required to submit a PHS Conflict of Interest Disclosure Form to the UMass Office of Research Compliance at the point of each proposal submission and receive training on the regulations.
- Conflict of Interest for PHS funded researchers (policies, resources, forms, training schedule and registration)
NSF (National Science Foundation) Funded Researchers
Faculty investigators who are supported by external funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and other federal agencies adopting the NSF requirement, must submit an annual NSF Conflict of Interest disclosure, as well as a "transactional update" at the point of each proposal submission.
- Conflict of Interest for NSF Funded Researchers (and others as noted above) (policies, resources, and forms)
Human Subjects Research
- Conflict of Interest relating to Human Subjects Research (UMass President's Office)
- Conflict of Interest relating to Human Subjects Research (UMass Medical School)
Commercial Ventures and Intellectual Property
All University Employees (including Faculty and Staff)
All University employees are subject to the requirements of State laws regarding Conflict of Interest.
- Conflict of Interest for State Employees (policies and resources)
- Conflict of Interest and Textbook Royalties
Should you have any questions on the conflict of interest/conflict of commitment policies, procedures or regulations, please do not hesitate to contact Jennifer Donais, Director of Research Compliance, at 545 - 5283 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org