The primary mission of the Amelia Peabody Foundation is to increase the number, range, and depth of positive learning experiences available to materially disadvantaged young people living in the cities and towns of Massachusetts.
UMass Amherst may only submit one application to the Amelia Peabody Foundation per year.
- Peabody grants only support projects and programs that are carried out in Massachusetts.
- Most Peabody grants are made to organizations that serve disadvantaged, inner city youth populations.
- Most often the organizations receiving grants will be located in the very neighborhoods that they would serve by their efforts.
- Grants that help organizations leverage additional funds are particularly favored.
- Grants should bring about real changes in neighborhoods where people live.
- Grants are not made directly to individuals, nor are they made for promotional videos, endowments, independent research, seed money, advertisements, sponsorship, or lobbying.
- Peabody grants are made in a wide range of sizes, but always correspond to the requirements of the proposal, the size of the organization, and its capacity to accomplish the grant purpose.
- Most grants fall in the $10,000 to $50,000 range for programs or operations.
- A smaller number of grants, generally in the $50,000 to $100,000 range, are capital improvement grants or other grants which take an organization to a new level of operations in respect to the quality or quantity of services provided.
- Most grants are for one year only. Three years is the maximum that will be considered.
Internal Application Process
Organizations may only submit one application per year.
If you are interested in applying to this program, please submit a one-page concept paper to Michelle Wonsey (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, August 4, 2017.
In addition to a description of your proposed activities, please include:
- The need for your proposed project/rationale for your intervention
- A description of the population your project will serve
- Any organizational partners for the project
- Anticipated and/or received funding for the project
- Total budget and amount you hope to request
For more information, visit the program's guidelines. If you have technical questions on the Amelia Peabody Foundation or your eligibility, please contact Liz Smith in Corporate and Foundation Relations.