UMass Amherst Religious and Spiritual Life

Religious and Spiritual Life at UMass Amherst
Photo of Chapel on UMass Amherst campus

Information for Prospective Religious Advisors

The religious and spiritual needs of our students are served by a wide variety of Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) and private religious organizations.

Prospective religious advisers affiliated with private religious organizations can gain recognition by the University through their participation in the Religious Affairs Committee.

To join the Religious Affairs Committee, a prospective religious adviser must submit the following documents:

1. Religious Leader Registration Form
Please download this form (as a MS Word document), complete the form on your computer, and then email the completed form, as an attachment, to Larry Goldbaum at the email link provided below. We can then arrange a time to meet, to sign this form and, if needed, the NENS form (see #3 below).

2. A letter from your organization/supervisor (on the organization's letterhead) stating that you have been assigned to the UMass Amherst campus, or are representing that religious organization on the UMass Amherst campus.

3. Non-Employee, Non-Student (NENS) "Courtesy Account" request form
This "NENS" form is only required if you need a University email address and I.D. card. Current UMass Amherst faculty, staff or students should not use this form (since they already have a UMass account). For your own protection, please do NOT email this form with a Social Security number. Either leave the SSN blank, or hand-deliver a paper copy. Email isn't safe for SSNs!

Please note that the "Sponsor" must be a University employee. The form can NOT be signed/authorized by any religious adviser, or any staff member at Newman Center, Hillel, or any other religious organization. It must be signed by an authorized UMass administrator. (For religious organizations, this designated administrator is Larry Goldbaum. See contact information below.)

Download "Religious Advisor Registration Form" (MS Word)

Download "Religious Advisor Registration Form" (PDF)

Download NENS Form (PDF)

For more information contact Larry Goldbaum (Director, Office of Religious & Spiritual Life) by email or phone 413-545-9642.