UMass Amherst Religious and Spiritual Life

Religious and Spiritual Life at UMass Amherst
Photo of Chapel on UMass Amherst campus

Religious / Spiritual Organizations
and Other Resources

The religious and spiritual needs of the students at UMass Amherst are served by a wide variety of Registered Student Organizations (RSO's) and private religious organizations.

RSO's are chartered (and in some cases funded) by the Student Government Association. They also receive advising and other support from Student Activities staff. External religious organizations such as Newman Catholic Center and Hillel provide their own funding and staff, and are recognized by the University through the Religious Affairs Committee.

For information about resources available to members of particular religious/spiritual traditions, including RSO's and external religious organizations which serve the University community, click on one of the links below.

Links to some student organizations can be found on the specific denominational pages on this website (e.g. Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc). A complete list of religious RSO's can also be found online on UMass Amherst Campus Pulse.

If there are no RSO's which meet your religious or spiritual needs, find out how to start a new group by calling the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) at 413-545-3600 ... or contact the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life for advice and assistance.

Local houses of worship
There are also numerous churches, synagogues, and a mosque in the Five-College Area which serve a wide variety of religious needs. For a directory of local houses of worship, click here.

LGBTQ-supportive Religious Resources

Many local religious organizations and clergy can be counted on to welcome and support LGBTQ students. Click here for more information.

Other Campus Resources

Library and Internet Resources on Religion

This website, hosted by the University Library, contains a wealth of resources including articles, databases, and links to relevant websites with information about various world religions.

Disability Services
(413) 545-0892

Stonewall Center (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Allies)
(413) 545-4824

Center for Women and Community (formerly Everywoman's Center)
(413) 545-0883

Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success (CMASS)
(413) 545-2517

Women of Color Leadership Network
(413) 545-1671