Pass/Fail Option

Undergraduate students may take one course each semester using the pass/fail grading option. Restrictions regarding use of this option may be found in the Academic Regulations handbook

Students can add their classes with the pass/fail option through the end of add/drop via SPIRE. After add/drop ends, through the mid-semester date, a student can change the pass/fail status of a class by filling out a course change form available at the University Registrar's Office. No signatures are required. After the mid-semester date, if a student needs to change the option, they must document the extenuating circumstances for a late pass/fail from an Academic Dean.

At any time during a student's academic stay at UMass he/she may revoke the Pass/Fail option off their record. Forms are available in the University Registrar's Office.