Information About the Fresh Start Option for Eligible Returning Students
Students who return to the University after an absence of at least three years may have their prior work excluded from the calculation of their cumulative grade point average subject to certain conditions. This is known as the "Fresh Start" policy, because you begin a new cumulative GPA upon readmission. The length of time you have been away from the University qualifies you to be readmitted under this policy, if you so choose. For the purpose of this policy, an "absence of at least three years" is defined as not having been enrolled in any courses on the Amherst campus for six successive fall and spring semesters or any of the intervening intersessions or summer sessions. Students may not have been enrolled in any regular University courses or any courses offered by Continuing & Professional Education during this period.
Please review the following guidelines carefully. To view Fresh Start Policies go to "K. Special Provisions for Reinstatement after Extended Absence from the University. (Fresh Start)" in the Academic Regulations.
- A minimum of 45 credits must be completed in residence on the UMass Amherst campus in a matriculated program of study after the Fresh Start. That means that no more than 75 credits of prior work will be carried forward after Fresh Start.
- All courses and grades attempted and earned in prior periods of enrollment, including academic notations, will remain a permanent part of your record. They will appear on your transcript, along with a notation that the courses and grades are not included in your cumulative grade point average.
- Students who are readmitted under the Fresh Start option will be subject to University graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission. (Exceptions may be made to the General Education requirements for those students who, in earlier enrollment periods, had completed then-existing distribution or core requirements.)
- Courses which are passed in earlier periods of enrollment with grades of CD, D+ or D will not be accepted in satisfaction of any degree requirements following readmission. You will lose credits previously earned in courses graded CD, D+ or D.
- Courses which were passed in earlier periods of enrollment with grades of C- or better will be accepted toward satisfaction of the University requirement that 120 credits be completed for a baccalaureate degree. General Education courses which were passed in earlier periods of enrollment with grades of C- or better will be accepted toward satisfaction of appropriate General Education requirements.
- Courses which were passed in earlier periods of enrollment with grades of C- or better will be accepted toward satisfaction of major requirements if so approved by the major department, but they will not be included in the calculation of the major GPA.
- The restrictions detailed apply to degree requirements only. Individual programs on campus may place additional restrictions on eligibility for participation following readmission. (These may include internship, cooperative education, and international or national exchange programs, and other programs not listed here.)
- Once you have chosen the Fresh Start policy, you may NOT reverse the decision, and will remain subject to the above conditions.
|Last Semester at UMass||Fresh Start Readmission Semester|
|Spring 2009||Fall 2012|
|Fall 2009||Spring 2013|
|Spring 2010||Fall 2013|
|Fall 2010||Spring 2014|
|Spring 2011||Fall 2014|
|Fall 2011||Spring 2015|
|Spring 2012||Fall 2015|
|Fall 2012||Spring 2016|
|Spring 2013||Fall 2016|
|Fall 2013||Spring 2017|
|Spring 2014||Fall 2017|