Obtain Surplus Property

Access to Furniture Equipment in the Surplus Property Barn:

The Surplus Property Barn generally contains old file cabinets, bookshelves, desks and chairs. Occasionally it contains old equipment used in building trades, cafeterias, laboratory or hospitals. The selection varies significantly over the course of the year.

Any state agency or University department may obtain surplus property for work purposes. Items that have remained in the SPB for 30 days are considered to be unwanted and are therefore eligible for donation to non-profit organizations. In order to obtain University surplus property, a nonprofit organization must file a request with the OWM on organization letterhead and provide a 501(c)3 number or Federal Tax Exempt number as confirmation of its nonprofit status.

Surplus items that have remained in the SPB for over 30 days, for which there is no demand by either University or nonprofit organizations are then recycled for scrap value or disposed of.

How to obtain Re-usable/Recyclable Material:

You must check in at OWM office each time you visit WRTF to browse.

  • Wood waste is available to those with a wood waste permit. You may obtain a permit inside the OWM office.
  • Re-useable paint, stain, varnish, etc. is available at the WRTF paint storage area. Check in at the WRTF office to obtain access to these materials. You must sign a recycled paint indemnity form.

© 2006 University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Site Policies.
This site is maintained by the
Department of Waste Management.
Design by Team Cahill
UMass seal

Access to furniture equipment in Surplus Property Barn (SPB):

Location: 151 Tillson Farm Road
Hours: Wednesdays 9-10:00 a.m. See sidebar on homepage for "open" or "closed" status report

On-campus entities may select and remove items or reserve them for later pick-up or delivery by Moving Services.

Related Links:

Contact Info & Directions
Recyclable Materials Guide
Recycling Other Materials