The UMass Public Engagement Project Presents:
"The Engaged Campus: Giving Back to the Commonwealth and Beyond"
A distinguished panel will discuss “The Engaged Campus: Giving Back to the Commonwealth and Beyond” as part of this year’s Founders Week celebration at UMass Amherst. This panel presentation, hosted by the UMass Public Engagement Project, will examine the importance of the University's involvement in the local, state, and national community. UMass Amherst is among a select group of U.S. colleges and universities recognized as a Community Engaged Campus by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. This panel presentation will address how UMass students and faculty can and do give back to the Commonwealth through service learning, research, and community outreach. Five panelists will each present a different aspect of the university’s engagement, with discussion to follow.
- Dan Gerber, Assistant Professor of Public Health and Chair of the University Service, Public Service and Outreach Council of the Faculty Senate;
- Marla Michel, Director of Campus Engagement and of the Scibelli Enterprise Center Business Incubator;
- John Reiff, Director of Civic Engagement and Service-Learning;
- Linda Tropp, Professor of Psychology, Director of the Psychology of Peace and Violence Program, and Member of the Public Engagement Project.
- Honorable Stanley C. Rosenberg '77, MA State Senator and Majority Leader
Moderator: Naomi Gerstel, Distinguished University Professor (of Sociology) and Member of the Public Engagement Project
WATCH LECTURE VIDEO HERE:
Panel to Highlight UMass Research and Engagement Projects in Springfield
A Research in Process Seminar Series Panel Sponsored by
the Institute for Social Science Research
Sylvia Brandt, Associate Professor of Resource Economics and Public Policy
Frank Sleegers, Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture
Fred Rose, Researcher and Lecturer, Center for Public Policy and Administration and Co-director of the Wellspring Initiative in Springfield
Chancellor Kumble R. Subbaswamy and Dean Robert S. Feldman are expected to be in attendance.
RSVP by February 4 to: Karen Mason: email@example.com
More information about the Panel.
(Click here for Past Events!)