Chancellor Home | Past Chancellors & Presidents

  Past Chancellors and Presidents on the Amherst Campus

Historical Images of Campus

the Old Chapel

Morrill Hall

Hillside

 

The Many Names of UMass Amherst

The University of Massachusetts Amherst has evolved over its history. It began in 1864 as Massachusetts Agricultural College and was renamed Massachusetts State College in 1927. Only twenty years later, in 1947, the campus gained university status. With the advent of the University of Massachusetts system it became the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 1970. At that time, the system President's Office moved to Boston, and the Chancellor assumed responsibility for the operation of the Amherst campus.

University of Massachusetts Amherst

John V. Lombardi
Marcellette G. Williams
David K. Scott
Richard D. O'Brien
Joseph Duffey
Loren Baritz
Henry Koffler
Randolph W. Bromery
Oswald Tippo

2002-2007
2001-2002
1993-2001
1991-1993
1982-1991
1982
1979-1982
1971-1979
1970-1971

University of Massachusetts

John W. Lederle
Jean P. Mather
Ralph Van Meter

1960-1970
1954-1960
1947-1954

Massachusetts State College

Hugh P. Baker
Roscoe W. Thatcher

1932-1946
1927-1932

Massachusetts Agricultural College

Edward M. Lewis
Kenyon L. Butterfield
William P. Brooks
Henry H. Goodell
James C. Greenough
Paul A. Chadbourne
Levi Stockbridge
Charles L. Flint
Levi Stockbridge
William S. Clark
Paul A. Chadbourne
Henry F. French

1924-1927
1906-1924
1905-1906
1886-1905
1883-1886
1882-1883
1880-1882
1879-1880
1879
1867-1879
1866-1867
1864-1866

 

 


Credits:
Images provided by Special Collections and Archives, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst.

This page last updated July 11, 2008


umass amherst seal