UMass Amherst
Office of the Chancellor, University of Massachusetts Amherst
  Chancellor Home | Past Chancellors & Presidents

  Past Chancellors & Presidents on the Amherst Campus

The Campus
(1886)

Number of Students:
108

Number of Faculty:
12

Instate undergraduate tuition:
$36

New buildings:
Old Chapel (1885)
South College (1885)
West Experiment Station (1885)

James C. Greenough, 1883-86

James C. Greenough was born in 1829, near the Amherst campus in Wendell, Massachusetts. He worked as a schoolteacher in Heath, Massachusetts, from 1854 until returning to the State Normal School at Westfield in 1856 to become assistant principal.

He left Westfield in 1871 to become principal of the Rhode Island Normal School, remaining at that post for 12 years.

In 1883, Greenough came to the Massachusetts Agricultural College to become president, serving for three years.  During his tenure, he was noted for raising academic standards, extending the course of study, and guiding a transition from a small vocational college to a more comprehensive institution supporting agriculture and extension services.  Greenough saw the construction of the college chapel and the establishment of the Experiment Station before finishing his term in 1886.


Credits:
Profiles compiled from historical documentation located in Special Collections and Archives, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts and from Cary, H. (1962). The University of Massachusetts: A History of 100 Years. Amherst: University of Massachusetts.

Image provided by Special Collections and Archives, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst.

This page last updated June 14, 2004


umass amherst seal