University of Rochester Summer Scholars Program
Summer Scholars program is for undergraduate students interested in the Ph.D. degree in the Biological or Biomedical Sciences and for Students with a potential interest in attending graduate school at the University of Rochester. The REU summer program will provide enhanced research opportunities in Cellular and Molecular Biology to promising undergraduates, so as to encourage these students to pursue graduate education and careers in the Biological Sciences. The Intellectual Merit of the program derives from the major strengths in the University of Rochester's cross campus programs in the Biological Sciences, combining programs from the undergraduate campus Department of Biology and Basic Science Departments of the University of Rochester Medical Center.
Students that are eligible to apply:
- Undergraduates from Local and National Colleges and Universities
- Undergraduates that are US citizens, permanent resident aliens, and students with current F1 visas from their host institutions
- Matriculated college sophomores or juniors with strong academic backgrounds. (Applicants must have a GPA of at least a 3.0.)
- Each summer program lasts for a 10-week period
- Summer trainees will work under the direct supervision of a participating faculty mentor or post-doctoral student
- All summer trainees will be responsible for constructing a poster outlining their research at the conclusion of the program
- Summer trainees will present their posters and research at a final formal symposium
- All summer trainees will participate in research/educational seminars and presentations on graduate school and careers
- Luncheons, group trips to area attractions, and various social activities are organized for the chance to interact with University of Rochester graduate students and other Summer trainees
- A GRE General Test preparation course will also be offered to students in their junior year
- All application materials are due by March 1, 2011.
- Students must commit to working for 10 weeks – from June 1 , 2011 through August 5, 2011.
Funding and Housing Details
- Each summer program offers a stipend of $450 per week
- Housing will be provided in the University dorms for 10 weeks (if needed) at no charge – see housing link below for further details.