"I cannot thank you enough for helping me with this whole ordeal and for treating me with respect and listening to what I had to say." - Undergraduate Student
"I am so thankful for all you have done for me, and am more excited than ever to take my classes this semester!" - Undergraduate Student
The Ombuds Office helps hundreds of undergraduate and graduate students every year with a wide variety of conflicts and concerns. The Ombuds Office can be particularly helpful in informally mediating disputes between students and faculty, whether those disputes are academic or interpersonal. We also handle issues of academic honesty, and can help you with an informal resolution or formal hearing if you are charged with a violation by an instructor (see our Academic Honesty quick-reference guide).
"I used nearly all of the talking points that you helped me with yesterday and it made for a very respectful and pleasant conversation." - Graduate Student
Examples of help the Ombuds Office often provides for students:
- Communicating with faculty
- Resolving workplace conflicts with supervisors/advisors
- Assisting with discrimination or harassment complaints
- Understanding financial aid policies and resolving financial aid problems
- Navigating course/program admission conflicts
- Resolving grade disputes
- Assisting with housing or roommate conflicts
- Advocating for students with unusual circumstances (illness, family emergencies, disabilities)
- Resolving meal plan problems
- Explaining the academic honesty policy and helping students charged with academic dishonesty to know their rights
- …and much, much more!
For the UMass Amherst calendar, helpful links, and more, please visit our Resources section.
The FAQ section also has many answers to student-specific questions.
"Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I am so proud and can't wait to get my bachelor’s degree." - Undergraduate Student