The Ombuds Office helps hundreds of undergraduate and graduate students every year with a wide variety of conflicts and concerns. The Ombuds Office can be particularly helpful in informally mediating disputes between students, or between students and faculty or staff, whether those disputes are academic, work related, or interpersonal. We can assist with issues of academic honesty, and can help you understand the policy and procedures for informal resolutions and formal charges (see the Academic Honesty website).
Examples of help the Ombuds Office often provides for students:
- communicating with faculty;
- resolving workplace conflicts with supervisors/advisors;
- assisting with discrimination or harassment complaints;
- understanding financial aid policies and resolving financial aid problems;
- navigating course/program admission conflicts;
- understanding how to resolve grade disputes;
- assisting with housing or roommate conflicts;
- helping students with unusual circumstances (illness, family emergencies, disabilities);
- resolving meal plan problems;
- explaining the academic honesty standards and helping students understand the policy;
- and much, much more!
For the UMass Amherst calendar, helpful links, and more, please visit our Resources section.
The FAQ section also has many answers to student-specific questions.
Quotes from students...
"I used nearly all of the talking points that you helped me with yesterday and it made for a very respectful and pleasant conversation." - Graduate Student
"I cannot thank you enough for helping me with this whole ordeal and for treating me with respect and listening to what I had to say." - Undergraduate Student
"Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I am so proud and can't wait to get my degree." - Undergraduate Student