UMass Amherst


Accessing Licensed Child Care Services

In Massachusetts there are two types of licensed child care providers:
1) center-based or group care providers within a designated facility,
2) family-based childcare services delivered in the provider's home.
Teacher to child ratios are regulated by the state and hours may vary from part to full time depending on the individual program. In each type of program, children are usually grouped according to age: Infant/toddler: birth 2 years 9 months old; Preschool: 2 years 9 months old - 5 years.

On Campus Child Care Programs

The Center for Early Education and Care (CEEC) offers full day and flexible schedule early education and care services for toddlers and preschool aged children (ages 15 months through five years) throughout the year. The program is licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (EEC) and accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs of NAEYC.

For more information or to request an enrollment application call the CEEC office at (413) 545-1566 or visit their website Center for Early Education and Care (CEEC).

Off Campus Child Care Programs

In the town of Amherst there are licensed family child care providers, licensed center based programs, and licensed after school programs. For K-12 public school program information , please refer to the Amherst Regional Public Schools and also the Town of Amherst.

New England Farm Worker's Council is the designated Child Care Resource and Referral Agency for Hampshire and Franklin Counties and the North Quabbin Regions. Agency staff work one on one with families helping them locate a child care program that meets their family's needs and help income eligible undergraduate parents obtain a voucher to pay for child care. (Graduate parents do not qualify.)

Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care is the official state agency for providers of childcare. The department's web site contains a comprehensive state-wide listing of infant, toddler, preschool and K-6 after school care programs. Only EEC licensed programs appear in search results.

Public school sponsored child care programs have different licensing requirements. Families interested in school sponsored care should contact their local school districts directly.

National Association for the Education of Young Children provides a listing of their accredited programs.

The Amherst Regional High School Preschool offers a comprehensive early childhood program with developmentally appropriate curriculum including literacy, math, art, science and drama activities. As a laboratory school for Child Development classes and internships, teachers and selected high school students engage as learning partners with children through play.

Babysitting Options

On Campus

Learn more about on-campus Babysitting options, including OFR's benefit for campus and AFC families.

UMass Student Employment Office provides an opportunity for families to post their babysitting needs.

Off Campus

Options for finding a sitter include registering your need at the employment offices of colleges and high schools in your local area.

Child Care Tuition Assistance

On Campus


The Undergraduate Child Care Tuition Assistance administered by the Office of Family Resources is a program for income-eligible undergraduate student parents. Child care includes, full or part day pre-K, after school care for children enrolled in K-6 programs and camperships. All students are encouraged to apply.


The Graduate Student Senate administers a Graduate Child Care Tuition Assistance program for income-eligible graduate student parents. Child care includes, full or part day pre-K, after school care for children enrolled in K-6 programs and camperships. All students are encouraged to apply.

The Graduate Employee Organization may also be able to provide some child care assistance.

Postdoctoral researchers at UMass Amherst may also have resources available.

Faculty and Staff

The Dependent Care Assistance Program allows benefitted faculty and staff to pay for dependent care expenses such as day care, nursery schools, and day camps with pre-tax dollars.

The Office of the Provost or The Center for Teaching and Faculty Development may have funds available for newly hired, tenured-track faculty to pay for childcare. Check their office for more information.

Off Campus

The Department of Transitional Assistance provides vouchers to pay for child care to those families already receiving funds from the department.

Tuition Assistance is available through Amherst's Community Development Department to income eligible Amherst families in need of day care services. Other cities and towns in the local area may also provide tuition assistance for day care. For comprehensive information and referral in this area parents should access New England Farm Worker's Council, the local child care resource and referral/voucher child care program that distributes vouchers for families in Western Massachusetts.

Military Families

Child Care Tuition Assistance is available to military families. Active duty members, Department of Defense civilian employees or contractors, and reservists on active duty at all income levels and ranks are eligible. Guardians are also eligible.

U.S. Coast Guard Child Care Subsidy Program is available specifically for Coast Guard families in need of financial assistance for child care.

Children's Enrichment Programs and Recreation

On Campus

Arts & Events at UMass provides a list and information regarding events offered throughout the year.

The pool in Totman Gymnasium is open for family swim on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:00pm to 9:00pm and also on Saturdays and Sundays from 2:00pm to 5:00pm. Visit UMass Campus Recreation for more information about family swim and other family programming.

Fine Arts Center offers a variety of arts and education programs, including performances for children.

Mullins Center offers public ice skating. See their schedule for more information.

The Special Saturday Morning Series, a program of the Office of Family Resources, is an interactive cultural enrichment program offered once a month during the academic year. The program is open to UMass and Amherst Family Center families with young children, birth to six years, and includes Art Cycles and a family-oriented performance.

Off Campus

Amherst Bulletin, Valley Advocate and Valley Kids are local newspapers offering weekly listings of events for children and their families.

Amherst's Leisure Services and Supplemental Education Department (LSSE) has a comprehensive recreation program for individuals, children and families. Scholarships up to 75% of program costs are available on a first come first served basis for eligible families with children ages 3-18 years. LSSE also administers the Wildwood After School Program for children enrolled in Wildwood Elementary School. For more information, regarding offered clubs and sports programs click on the link above. Other communities may offer tuition assistance programs or subsidies similar to that offered by the town of Amherst. Contact your town's recreation department for more information.

Amherst's Public Libraries consist of three branches: Jones Library Inc., located in downtown Amherst, Munson Memorial Library in South Amherst and the North Amherst Library. Each site offers storytelling and children's programs. All sites have free family or group passes for activities and museums that may be checked out with a valid library card. In towns other than Amherst these free passes are also likely available. Contact your local library for more information.

Groff Park is a town maintained playground on Mill Lane off Route 116 in South Amherst, it includes swings and slides, a pavilion for picnicking, and lots of open space.

Hilltown Families local listings of family friendly activities.

Hitchcock Center for the Environment, Inc. provides environmental education, a resource center with an extensive children's book collection, after school programs and day camps.

Macaroni Kids a local resource for family friendly events and activities in the Amherst and Northampton areas.

Mill River Community Playground is a town maintained playground off Route 63 in North Amherst, it includes swings, slides, an outdoor swimming and wading pool, and a pavilion for picnicking.

War Memorial Park is a town maintained playground and picnic area near the Amherst High School on Triangle Street in Amherst Center. Outdoor swimming and wading pools are operational subject to the town budget, check Amherst Town Hall for availability.

Family Centers

Amherst Family Center, a program of UMass Office of Family Resources, located just a mile from campus in North Amherst, is open to any Hampshire County or University affiliated family with young children birth to 5 years.

Hampshire Educational Collaborative manages the Hampshire County Family Network. Click here for a list of the eight family centers in Hampshire County.

Local Public and Private Schools

Off Campus

The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education collects data from schools and districts in the state. You can search for either public or private schools in the city/town near you through their comprehensive database.   Amherst Regional Public Schools include three elementary schools, a middle and high school. Children must be five years old by September 1 to be eligible to enroll for public school kindergarten.

School Age/After School Programs

Off Campus

School Age/After School Programs (also called Extended Day/Out of School Time) is a type of group child care program that serves children five through fourteen years old (or sixteen with disabilities). These programs are generally open before and/or after school and/or during school vacations. Some after school programs in public school buildings are run by private providers and are EEC licensed programs. If this is the case, they will appear in your EEC search results.

Amherst Boys and Girls Clubis dedicated to making a difference in your life by giving you access to great programs, activities, and social experiences in a fun and structured environment. Our Club is open to all young adults, ages 9-18, looking for a place where they can meet up with other kids to relax, play games, and even get some extra help with school.

Summer Camps

On Campus

UMass Athletics Department hosts several athletic camps, including baseball, lacrosse, soccer, swim, tennis, and more.

Off Campus

Daily Hampshire Gazette annually publishes a special issue of area Pre-K and K through 12 summer camps. Print copy available annually, typically in March.

Early Adventures and Adventure Playground is a summer day camp and summer swim lessons offered through the Town of Amherst's Leisure Services and Supplemental Education Department (LSSE). Camps are hosted at public school sites in Amherst and include activities, field trips, and special events. Scholarships are available for all programs on first come first serve basis.
Other area towns also offer summer camp opportunities, check your town's Recreation Department for more information.

Massachusetts Department of Public Health offers a brochure with information and regulations concerning recreational camps for children.