UMass Amherst

Child Care Tuition Assistance Program

What is the Undergraduate Child Care Tuition Assistance program?

The Child Care Tuition Assistance Award Program (CCTA) provides eligible fee paying (SATF) undergraduate student parents with tuition assistance for childcare (including full day or part day Pre-K , after school care for children enrolled in K-6 programs and camperships). Funding is available for the fall and spring academic terms as well as the summer.

Any enrolled fee paying undergraduate student parent may apply, provided that the student is financial aid eligible. Additionally, CCTA applicants will also be directed to the Massachusetts State Department of Early Education Childhood's Childcare Voucher Program since EEC funding may be a better choice for child care tuition assistance for families. Summer applicants must provide a summer employment schedule including place of business and /or anticipated class schedule.

Who must provide the care?

Either a licensed childcare facility or a registered private home provider must provide care.

Can any enrolled undergraduate parent apply?

Yes. Any fee paying undergraduate parent with demonstrated financial need may apply provided that they are carrying 6 or more academic credits per term.

Is there a timeline ?

Yes. Student parents interested in applying for summer funding for the period June 1-August 31, must apply by May 1, 2017. Late applications may be accepted if funding is available.

Students applying for Fall 2017 funding for the period September 1-December 31, 2017, must apply by May 1, 2017. Late applications may be accepted if funding is available.

Students applying for Spring 2018 funding for the period January 1, 2018-May 31, 2018 should apply by May 1. Late applications may be accepted if funding is available.

Applicants interested in receiving funds for the Spring 2017 Academic Term should apply by November 5, 2016.

Awards are determined on a first come first serve basis. Late applicants may still apply, although funds may be limited.

Must the family have a childcare or after school care provider selected when applying?

No. If the family does not have a provider they must secure a provider by the end of the add/drop period. Listings of Amherst based and local providers may be accessed through New England Farm Workers’ Council, a program of Partners Through Community, which is the designated Child Care Resource and Referral Agency for Hampshire and Franklin Counties and the North Quabbin Regions. Agency staff work one on one with families helping them locate a child care program that meets their family's needs. Staff from OFR is also available to work with parents to secure a local provider.

How is the program funded?

The program is funded by an optional student activities fee and monies contributed by the administration.

How is the level of tuition assistance determined?

Awards are based on available funding. Families with the greatest need are given priority.

What factors are considered in a family's financial need profile?

A family's financial need profile includes such factors as the family's total income (taxable and non-taxable) as well as family size.

How are the awards paid?

Notification award letters will be mailed to applicants. Award letters will include a Model Invoice for your provider. It is the student parent's responsibility to insure the provider receives the Model Invoice in a timely manner. Award payments will be processed upon receipt of a bill for services equal to the award commitment.

Click here to fill out application.