Register your property with the University’s Project Protect – this increases the chances of retrieving your belongings.
Program your phone with emergency numbers: UMass Police 413-545-2121 and Amherst Police 413-259-3000.
Off Campus Safety
- Always lock your door. You have the right to ask your landlord to change the locks before you move in.
- Make sure your front door has a peephole and dead bolt lock. Keep windows and doors secured with working locks at all times.
- Secure sliding glass doors with a safety bar in the door track to prevent them from being forced open.
- Never hide a key under the doormat, flowerpot or other easily accessible place - crooks know where to look.
- At night, close your curtains and shades to prevent people from seeing any valuables, or whether you are alone in the house.
- Ask your landlord to trim trees and bushes near your entrances to maximize visibility
- Ask for proper ID from maintenance people, landlords or strangers. Don’t be afraid to ask - legitimate staff carry them!
- Don't loan your key out. And don’t loan your key to repair or delivery people, or allow any service person to enter your home when nobody is there.
- Don't let strangers into the building or allow them to follow you in.
- Develop a “buddy” system with neighbors. Be alert for suspicious people or activity in your neighborhood.
- Never leave a note on the door saying you are away. Do leave a light on when you are away so it looks occupied.