Causes of Off Campus Fires
Most fires are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. It is important that both off campus and on campus students understand fire risks and know the preventative measures that could save their lives.
There are five common factors in a number of these fires:
- Lack of automatic fire sprinklers
- Missing or disabled smoke alarms
- Careless disposal of smoking materials
- Impaired judgment from alcohol consumption
- Upholstered furniture fires on decks and porches
Fire Safety Tips
- Make sure candles are permitted in your lease.
- Make sure candles are in sturdy holders and put out after each use.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep candles away from draperies and linens.
- Use flameless candles which are both safe and attractive.
- Cook only where it is permitted.
- Keep your cooking area clean and uncluttered.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the unit.
- Practice your escape plan. Always have two ways out.
- Get low and go under the smoke to escape to your safe exit.
- Feel the door. If it's hot, use your second way out.
- Use the stairs; never use an elevator during a fire.