Instructional Activity System
The Instructional Activity System (IAS) is used by the Office of Institutional Research (OIR) to report on credit-based instruction on the campus. It is a joint effort with the Registrar's Office to ensure that information about course instructors is accurate and up-to-date.
Course information from Spire is linked with personnel data from the Human Resources system. This enables OIR to associate instructors with the department or program to which they are budgeted. Information from IAS is used to produce a variety of management reports including the following Departmental Profile tables:
- Student/Faculty Ratios (FTE Instructed Students)
- Student/Faculty Ratio Student Credit Hours/FTE Faculty
- Lecture Sections Taught/FTE Faculty
- Instructional FTE and Student Credit Hours by Course Level.
Instructor Assignment Review and Update (IAS Collection)
The review and update procedure takes place after the add/drop period. Departments are asked to do the following:
- Review and update the names and campus ID numbers of all individuals who provide face-to-face instruction in a class section;
- Review and update instructor roles for each class section; and
- Confirm information about the printing of instructor names in the Schedule and instructor access to grade rosters.
IAS Review and Update Instructions
IAS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Verification occurs after the semester has ended and grades are posted. Departments have the opportunity to make a final review of their data, in particular instructor roles, before Departmental Profile tables are produced.Verification Guidelines and Table Descriptions