RN to BS Track
The RN to BS Online Track meets the needs of registered nurses with other life responsibilities through a curriculum that combines web-based instruction with student-tailored practice. Designed for students with clearly defined career goals, it calls for substantial autonomy in meeting established objectives.
Students take part in clinical practice arranged under faculty direction with the cooperation of community agencies and health care facilities. UMass Amherst nursing faculty help students explore new areas of practice and lay the foundation for a problem-solving approach to nursing practice and research.
RNs can fulfill work and family obligations without giving up advancement potential or a world-class education. All program coursework is designed to be completed online, with the clinical component of the program at a location convenient to their home.
Priority Application Deadline (2 cycles)
- February 1 for June admission
- October 1 for January admission
- We will continue to accept applications beyond these dates until all spots have been filled
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Current RN licensure (new graduates must obtain prior to starting their 2nd semester in the program)
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
- Application form with $75 processing fee
- Documentation of English proficiency (if English is not first language)
- Completion of all 60 non-nursing credits, including a grade of C or better in all seven nursing prerequisites
- Before you apply, you must complete the "Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credits" form through CPE
Before You Apply...
Before applying, all applicants must have their transfer credits evaluated by the Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) Office.
- Complete the "Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credits" form.
- Send the form with copies of all previous college records to:
Current Community College Nursing Students:
An additional 30 credits may be earned via submission of RN licensure, of which 15 credits will be considered UMass Amherst residence credit.
A grade of C or higher is required in all coursework.
Both a one-year and two-year plan of study are offered. Your attendance at orientation (in person or online) prior to the start of your program of study is required.
While the one-year and two-year plans of study are the traditional options, you also have the opportunity to individualize your plan of study to suit your lifestyle needs.
Current community college nursing students: We can help you to create a program to transition smoothly from your current coursework to ours. Contact us early to work with a College of Nursing advisor.
One + Two + One Seamless Curriculum Associate Degree to RN to BS in Nursing
The University of Massachusetts (UMass) Amherst College of Nursing is looking for committed and motivated students for an innovative approach to nursing education. This program offers qualified students a pathway to complete both the Associate Degree in Nursing and the RN-BS degree at UMass within four years. The first year of the One + Two + One Seamless Curriculum begins at your community college. During this first year of fulltime study the student will complete required non-nursing course work. The second and third year in the curriculum, continuing at your community college, provides the student with the course work necessary to complete the Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN). Upon graduating, the student will take the NCLEX exam and begin the final year of course work at UMass.
This example is specific to the 1+2+1 seamless curriculum beginning at Springfield Technical Community College (STCC), however, it can be adapted to fit the curriculum at your community college.