School of Nursing Alumni Association Bylaws
The School of Nursing (SON) Alumni Association of University of Massachusetts Amherst.
The SON Alumni Association's mission shall be to foster a lifelong relationship between the School of Nursing and its alumni. The board's mission is to foster a spirit of loyalty and fraternity among graduates, students, and friends; to promote and encourage alumni to maintain personal involvement in, and financial support of, the activities of the SON; to interact with University Alumni Relations; and to promote, through alumni, the interests of the University, the SON, and alumni.
The following represent the specific goals of the SON Alumni Association.
Goal I: Service to Alumni:
Strong advocacy (i.e.: new SON building) network
Good social connections
Goal II: Service to the SON:
Pride in and Advocacy of SON
Goal III: Alumni Association Board Membership:
Sustain membership of SON Alumni Board
Diversify membership of SON Alumni Board
Develop formal liaison with the SON student body
IV. SON Alumni Association Membership
All persons holding nursing degrees from University of Massachusetts Amherst SON, by virtue of this, are members of the SON Alumni Association, and are welcome to participate on the SON Alumni Board. In addition, matriculated School of Nursing juniors, seniors, and graduate students are also eligible.
A. The SON Alumni Board
1. The SON Alumni Board shall consist of no more than 15 members-at-large, the SON Dean or a representative of the SON Dean, a representative from the SON Development Office, and a student in the School of Nursing. New board members will be elected by alumni association members at the annual business meeting, which will be held at the beginning of the fall alumni reunion.
2. Each member of the SON Alumni Association shall be entitled to one vote.
3. The SON Alumni Board members are expected to attend at least 50% of Board
4. The responsibilities of the Board will include, but not be limited to:
· Plan events for School of Nursing Alumni
· Recruit new members for the board
· Support and assist with annual fund development
· Assist in the planning of the SON Alumni Newsletter
· Advocate on behalf of the School of Nursing when appropriate
· Support career networking/mentoring among Alumni and between Alumni and
B. Executive Committee
1. The Executive Committee, within the SON Alumni Board, shall consist of the Chair, Secretary, Immediate Past-Chair, and a representative of the Development Office. The representative of the Dean of the school shall be ex-officio to the Executive Committee.
2. The role of the Executive Committee will include, but is not limited to:
· Plan meeting agendas
· Facilitate Board meetings
· Oversee or delegate logistics of Board and Alumni meetings/events
· Act as liaison with School of Nursing administration, faculty and staff.
3. Members of the Executive Committee may serve consecutive two-year terms to a maximum of six years. Each term will commence at the end of the annual business meeting at which the nominee was elected. Nominees are to complete a "consent to serve" that outlines qualifications to serve, a single-paragraph biosketch, and personal objectives for participating on the board. The Nominating Committee, comprised of Executive Director, two executive board members, and the Dean (ex officio) will establish the slate prior to the annual business meeting. (Space for write-in candidates will appear on the slate.) This slate will be voted on at the annual business meeting, which will be held at the beginning of the fall alumni reunion.
Decisions will be made through informal consensus when possible. If a consensus cannot be reached among those present, the Chair may call for a vote on any given matter. The majority decision will prevail. The Executive Committee acts as the decision-making body for the SON Alumni Board in between Board meetings when necessary.
The Board will establish other committees or task forces as appropriate for any given project or initiative. It is expected that these committees will meet for a time-limited period to work on specific tasks, and will keep the Board apprised of the progress.
There shall be at least four regular meetings of the SON Alumni Board. Notice of the time, place and general purpose of any board meeting shall be sent to each member of the SON Alumni Board at least 14 days prior to the meeting. The annual meeting, which will be held during fall reunion, will be open to all SON
A quorum for the transaction of business at each Board meeting shall consist of the members present at the meeting.