Ph.D. in Nursing Admissions
Admission to the program is based on an overall appraisal of the applicant’s ability to undertake doctoral study and of their potential contributions to the discipline of nursing as evidenced in the following:
- Official transcripts from colleges/universities attended
- A master’s degree from a nationally accredited school of nursing and a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale, or bachelor’s degree in Nursing and a minimum GPA of 3.2. For international applicants whose GPA is not translatable in their official transcripts, the Graduate Program Director will evaluate academic preparation.
- Two letters of recommendation for doctoral study
- Two examples of scholarly writing (e.g., scholarly papers, publications)
- A research focus congruent with that of a potential faculty research advisor
- An admission interview
- Current CV or resume
The applicant must fill out application to:
- The University of Massachusetts Amherst Graduate School, tel. (413) 545-0721 or online at www.umass.edu/gradschool
Other Criteria for International Applicants
- Completion of Graduate School Application for International Applicants (from University of Massachusetts/Amherst Graduate School).
- TOEFL scores where applicable (see Graduate School Application for International applicants)
- Use of translation service for transcript as necessary
- GPA of 3.0 or equivalent