Skip to main content

Master of Science: Clinical Nurse Leader FAQs

What masters programs do you offer within the College of Nursing?

The College of Nursing is accepting new applications for the Clinical Nurse Leader Program. Although the MS/MPH program is not accepting new students, all continuing students in this program are being supported to progress in their degree programs. Thereafter, all new students seeking graduate degrees in Public Health Nursing Leadership as well as a Womens' Health Nurse Practitioner programs should apply to the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program programs. You can contact the DNP program to determine the tracks available for application. All Masters programs are offered online with no residency requirements.

How long will it take me to complete the master's degree program?

The programs range in credit requirements from 37-60 total credits. The programs can be completed full time (9-13 credits per semester) in 2 years, or 3-4 years part time (6-9 credits per semester).

When are courses offered?

Master's level courses are on-line. Clinical practica are arranged near the students' residence.

What kind of credential will I receive when I finish the program?

When you successfully complete the program, you will receive a Master of Science Degree from the University of Massachusetts . Those enrolled in the MS/MPH dual degree program receive both degrees- the MS in Nursing and the MPH in Public Health.

Do I need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) to apply?

GRE's are no longer required of applicants. Applicants must demonstrate evidence of high scholastic achievement. The College of Nursing uses the degree-granting institution GPA as one measure of an applicant's academic potential.  A successful applicant will typically have a GPA of 3.00 or above (on a 4.00 scale).  If the GPA is lower than 3.00, applicant may still apply and be considered for admission. The final admission decision is based upon the complete file. You can have the scores forwarded to the Graduate School at the University of Massachusetts when you apply.

How do I enroll in classes for this program?

You would apply just as you would to the other programs. The degree you will be receiving is through the University of Massachusetts. Because the mechanics of the program (registration, course payment, etc.) are supported through the Continuing Education Division, all registration and payment of courses will be done through them. You will receive that information once you are accepted into the program.

Can I take any courses before I am accepted into the program?

Yes. You can take up to 2 courses (6 credits) as a Non-Degree student. There is an application that you will fill out to become a non-degree student. Once you are accepted into the program, you can transfer those credits in to be applied to your degree. You can also transfer in 6 other credits from another institution if those courses fulfill the requirements of the program in which you will be enrolled (transfer credits are up to the discretion of the Program Director and have to be approved).

How much does it cost to attend these programs?

Tuition and fees change annually. Fee information is available from the UMass Bursar's Office.