Vision, Mission and Values
The College of Nursing is a force for innovation, learning and discovery in preparing culturally proficient nurses for leadership in health for a global society.
To provide an affordable and accessible education to enhance health and healing through nursing leadership in teaching, scholarship, practice and service.
We, the faculty of the College of Nursing, are committed to:
Caring and Collaborative Relationships
- Caring and compassion as the heart of evidence-based nursing practice
- Collaboration with clients, nursing and interdisciplinary peers as essential to enhancing health and healing
- Attending to the needs and input of vulnerable and underserved populations
- Nursing's contribution to reducing health disparities and promoting health in a global society.
- An environment that enhances the social conscience and professional development of all members of the College of Nursing.
- The knowledge that environments are interrelated systems that affect and are affected by nursing practice, culture, and public policy.
- Students developing their identity as agents for innovation in the world.
- The reciprocal relationships among teaching, scholarship, and engagement.
- Encouraging integrity and high moral character in all members of the College of Nursing.
- Becoming reflective practitioners to increase the authenticity of our work (Boyer).
- Creative ways of acquiring, managing and sharing knowledge.
- Striving to design and provide culturally sensitive nursing care in a global society.
- Promoting diversity in our school and in the profession.
- Arts, humanities, and sciences as a foundation for nursing education.
- Learning as a dynamic, collaborative process that promotes mutual growth of students and teachers.
Establish innovative scholarly engagement models that define and respond to the health of the public. Our goal is to:
- Contribute to the search for answers to the most pressing social, civic, economic and moral problems facing our profession and world today.
- Facilitate and enhance an organizational culture of diversity that promotes the success of collaborative partnerships, relationships, and affiliations within a global community. .
- Promote and expand faculty practice, which reflects the expertise of faculty needs and needs of our communities of interest.
- Promote faculty development and systematic understanding through a variety of mechanisms, including coordinating access to all existing internal university resources, securing external global resources, and mentoring faculty with the ongoing development of their academic careers.
- Contribute to systematic and structural improvement of the University and UMass systems.
- Promote service to the underserved and vulnerable populations in our region.
We prepare professional nurses by creating an innovative environment for inquiry, discovery, and learning with diverse populations. Our goals are to:
- Ensure a flexible learner centered environment that utilizes information technology to its highest potential to ensure collaboration and inclusiveness
- Foster the advancement of students through graduate education
- Ensure a comprehensive, cohesive curriculum which prepares students for leadership in a changing and diverse sociopolitical world.
Enhance the art and science of nursing by creating, translating, and disseminating knowledge. Our goals are to:
- Facilitate the scholarship of discovery, integration, application and teaching
- Foster a creative environment that supports scholarship activities
- Enhance mechanisms for interdisciplinary scholarship.